1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who knew club racing could actually look exciting?

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Jun 22, 2022.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

That was complete sarcasm and said in jest. Sorry you misinterpreted that.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's that do to help club racing which is what we're talking about?

I've known Josh since he started racing and do not dislike him at all but I'm not seeing any direct effect he is or has had on riders coming out to race.

3. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

In all seriousness our program absolutely struggled until kids got coached by him. We were getting our @sses handed to us in Cali. Unfortunately Hayden suffered a collar bone but Parker went on a rampage. We went back to Texas and he hurt some feelings. So in a way kids got confidence to go next level big bikes.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He keeps running away from here but Garth has been around for a long long time.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ummmm, Thomas wasn't sponsoring Josh when you first came out racing in Cali....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did they run at the compound before ever running anywhere else or as a sideline? Smart fast racers run everywhere they can get tracktime....

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Call them both 1.5...

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I always need to do better. I keep trying to, don't always succeed.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree he is a good coach, especially on minis and he is damned good at self promotion - something most pros suck ass at.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea I’ve been out of touch with minis since 2009 or 2010. There was a lot of competition here back then too, between minis and WERA, AFM, WSMC and CVMA there was a bunch of good racers. Just like in other areas, Garret Getloff and Jake Lewis both came out of the SE.

I never had 3 racers so I can’t give you a great answer on that. I was spending money and time for Tyler, and my wife was doing the same in dance for our daughter. If either had a competition the boys or girls would go if possible to support each other but often they were already engaged in their chosen sport.

I can think of a few families that had multiple boys we raced around.

Austin Dehaven
    Anthony Dehaven

Tommy Aquino
    Michael Aquino

Joe Roberts
    Pascal Roberts

Josh Herrin
    Zach Herrin we raced in same class at AMA.

In all those cases the elder sibling went further in their career. We raced with most of these guys except Josh Herrin as they already left California before we started racing, and Tommy had already stepped up before we got there too.

So maybe like these other cases you focus on her and keep the other boys running local and see what transpires?

I know once we stepped up to 600s, a lot more help came versus 125’s or even the SV. Both financial help, parts help, and advice/verbal training.

11. Boman Forklift

I had a 150R but it was unfortunately stolen a few months back. Those are amazing on a mini track, but I only rode it one time. It was my sons back when he raced and one I kept because I thought it would be fun for me.

We can still meet out there on a trackday sometime and you can smoke me on the KX65. :)

12. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Love too! It would be fun to find out that your skill > my HP:rolleyes: haha. At least thats what I tell myself passing liter bike noobs on my 400:p

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

There was a time in my life over a three year period, between racing, running trackdays, and the Harley/Buell deal I was at a race track 31 days a year on average with most other years averaging @20 or so. Then you factor in weather in the Midwest with the condensed riding season and it wasn’t uncommon being at a track three or four weekends a month for a couple of months. It was fun but the travel and constant getting settled back at home and relationships etc. suffered.
    I got burnt out.
    I’m confident in knowing I did help a lot of people get on track.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

My brother and I had many good seasons with you and later with WERA Black Hawk 4 14 07 023 g.jpg

G 97 likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Dude, my son was fast, I'm not that fast anymore.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Damn that a while ago. Yeah man, good times with a great group of riders.

5axis likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some before they were old enough... some simultaneously ran or got back into wera. I sold 2 bikes to guys that wanted to go wera lightweight racing.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I want a slow year like those :crackup:

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Of course but it’s your job.

20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Both quotes above -- True for me and probably others. I wouldn't have tried racing without exposure to the track via track days and an experienced racer that both promoted the idea of racing and/or provided assistance (registration and paddock) for that first racing event.

^^^ all of this