1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is really running the country?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rat, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I agree with RSDad aboot the sanitization of the war from the media.....here it comes...wait for it...just aboot there...BUT so was the Vietnam war and Gulf war. I remember hearing the body counts everynight from Chester and David but never every seeing anything close. I think it is just our FCC "big brother" way of thinking. The POWs interviews is a good example. One news showed them and then pulled them from the air. The same with our news, we hear the body counts but I don't even remotely believe them. Another example was the convoy that left Baghdad towards the 3rd...the news media made it sound like a huge force..columns of tanks and soldiers...turns out to be a couple of pick-up and couple of tanks after the air pounded them. Lets face it, the media is the biggest rumor monger and the Coalition brass tells us when we need to know or when they are readdy to tell us.

David

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Amazing when video games and movies are more graphic then the news (real life).
    I've seen enough sh@t in my life, I think I prefer the news the way it's being shown. my $.02.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hardcore. I couldn't do it. Public school?

4. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Believe me, I'm not saying I want to see that stuff. I just think that it is part of the sanitizing of war.

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Really, talk about being in the trenches (High School). Explains your patience and "your handling the verbal abuse."

David

6. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Yep. But I'm coordinator of special education too so lots of my time is spent doing administrative stuff, consulting with classroom teacher regarding instruction for kids with learning problems, academic testing, etc.

7. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Actually, I was kind of hoping you posessed half a clue on this subject. I would have welcomed a healthy debate on it. After you stated, in your first paragraph, that you had no clue on the subject (and, once again, used some of that passive agressiveness we have come to know and love,) I pretty much ignored the second paragraph. And just for the record, the economic forces that sway us to and fro every 5 years don't seem to have any political affiliation that I know of.

8. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I work in a public school now but worked in an alternative school and a residential facility before. I've been called every name in the book, had desks thrown at me, blah blah blah. It really has no impact on me at all - the verbal part that is.

Then again, I've had some pretty cool conversations with some people who are pretty screwed up too.

9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

That was a cool FUBAR, wasn't it? :D

Your observation is accurate, but that's the FCC "protecting" us from violence on TV. We have not yet reached the point where real dead bodies with missing parts and open wounds are shown on the news or on any other broadcast. You could make the same argument about TV coverage of the daily murders that occur throughout the country. Or my favorite, the coverage of auto accidents on local network news. You don't see decapitated bodies hanging out of vehicles involved in head-on collisions, right?

So what's different about the war coverage? How is that any more sanitized than the examples I've provided?

10. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Well, I could research it and get back to you just for the argument. I have done a bit of reading about the topic but I really don't like economics very much. It is just so dull.
    Plus, I'm feeling kind of uncharacteristically agreeable and accommodating tonight. ;)

11. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

It all makes perfect sense now. Let me ask you this, how do you keep your personal beliefs out of your professional world? I'm sure not all parents believe as you and don't want those ideologies thrust upon their kids. I'm not attempting to be an ass here, it's an honest question.

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i'd bet he doesn't. {can't}

13. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

There are a couple of differences. One difference is that the government isn't giving us a positive message about the events that lead up to the murders or car accidents. The government does have a vested interest in the public's attitude toward the deaths being caused by the war, however.

BTW, I don't ever want to get to the point where the evening news shows the decapitated and murdered bodies of people involved in murders or car accidents.

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

only wars then i guess. :rolleyes:

people die in war, don't ya know. {as car accidents}

15. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

That's a legitimate question. My personal beliefs have no place in my work and how I feel has nothing to do with it. We are talking about a kid with academic or behavioral problems and it isn't about me, it is about them. It would be completely inappropriate for me to impose my beliefs on someone else's child. I wouldn't want someone to do that to my kids.

Not only don't ALL parents believe as I do, hardly any probably do. Parents have a right to raise their children with whatever ideology they choose. Again, for me to attempt to impose my views on someone else's child would be completely inappropriate and unethical.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

For once I actually like your answer :D I have seen the good, bad, and ugly surrounding your profession. As both a student (long, nasty story there) and as the child of a HS guidance counselor who has a background in psychology (the good.) I couldn't do it and I don't think alot of people give credit to those that can and do.