1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who deserves Roger's seat!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So how do you explain Canepa? The guy is mid pack in wsbk but in the limited testing he did over here with Buell, he blitzed the field.

MachineR1 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. I’m not sure if you’re overestimating the talent in MA, or underestimating the talent in MotoGP. But regardless, I couldn’t disagree more.

Redding, Crutchlow, Bautista, Smith, so on and so forth...any of those guys could come over here and immediately hurt a lot of feelings.

3. ...and on a Buell.

Canepa, on that Buell, went 3sec per lap faster around Jennings than Roger did on his Yosh Suzuki a few years ago (not to mention went faster than anyone has ever went around Jennings by setting a new, and still standing, lap record of 1:12.xx).

We have some talented guys in the US, that’s for sure. But to think those guys on the World stage would come over here and struggle to crack the top 3 is ludicrous.

4. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I think they're under estimating World level talent..which all of the above have. Hell even K. Abraham or Luthi would come over here and kick some ass, and they're steady clowned on by the BBS'ers.

It's kind of like somebody who played in the NBA but wasn't "all that good" there. You have to be crazy good in general just to get there, and nobody at 24 hour fitness would ever be able to check that dude.

Some people just don't understand the level of talent of world stage competition because it's incomprehensible to them how good somebody actually is.

5. Exactly. Well put.

My high school basketball coach played in the NBA Developmental league, but never made it into the NBA.

But even at 32 years old, he could absolutely embarrass guys on our team that were All-Conference, a couple of whom went on to play D1 ball themselves. He could make it rain from 3’ behind the 3pt line, then when they closed out on him he could break their ankles, then drive in and dunk all over our big men.

We loved it when he would play scrimmage games with us because we knew somebody was going to get posterized.

It is hard to fathom the talent level of the top guys in the world, at anything. People might bag on guys like Redding because he can’t run with Rossi, MM, JLo, etc. But make no mistake, those mid-pack dudes are seriously talented.

5axis likes this.
  6. Well looking at it right now we have a talent deficit, which hopefully will improve. I’m not saying we have no talent by any means but we need more depth and further honing of skills. The way I see it that’s the reality. Elias is one of the best things that’s happened his they changed to MA. Ask Mladin what one of the best things that happened to make him go faster, Ben Spies. MMA fighters for example when training train against someone better in each discipline, why? Because you raise the level of competition which in a general sense you “play” as good as your competition. All the time sports teams when playing a #1 team play amazing but when playing last place team play like crap. The great athletes,and people in general will rise to the occasion. That is what helps separate great from good.

7. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Do you want to expand on that statement, because he's one of most approachable riders in the paddock....

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Dude not sure where you're getting your figures from but he broke the Jennings lap record by like half a second that was set previously by Ben Bostrom.

It's a test track, not a qualifying session. Also, lap times don't win races. That's why they race after they qualify.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

It's funny you bring up Mladin because in his interviews he flat out said he had no reason to believe that world-class the riders were any better than the riders in AMA.

Josh Hayes pretty well said the same thing few days ago.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

What field?

The field of track day riders that show up at Jennings?

11. Not sure where you are getting your reading comprehension from, but I am fully aware of that.

Is Bostrom’s first name “Roger”?

No. It isn’t.

This thread is in regards to the Yosh Suzuki seat, and has evolved into how riders on the World stage would compare.

My comment was that Canepa, a typical mid-pack WSBK rider ran 3 seconds faster than Roger did last time he was there testing the Yosh Suzuki.

Rog ran in the :15’s. Canepa ran in the :12’s

turbulence likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What a bunch of monkey shit. I don't think (most) of the euros are any better than the best in motoamerica. Yeah, the aliens, some in WSBK and some in the other classes might be a few steps ahead but Abraham, Bautista, smith and some others mentioned? Monkey shit!

418 likes this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

I thought you were implying that the fastest American rider around Jennings has done 15s....

Like I said, comparing lap times on some obscure track done in testing is pointless and inaccurate.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Cam blitzed the field at Sonoma this past weekend to the tune of one second per lap. Tony Elias included. I think we're OK.

15. How well did Mladin do in WSBK?
    How well did Herrin do (or have any of the American riders done) in Moto2?
    How did Day do in WSTK?
    How well did Roger do when he was with Kawi in WSBK?
    Gagne?
    How many of the American front runners have finished in the top 5 in their WSBK wild card races?

I could keep going...

On the flip side, look at what Elias has done when he came to the US.

Mladin is entitled to his own opinion, but history and results (or lack thereof) speak otherwise.

Those guys are called the best in the world for a reason.

mike998b and turbulence like this.
  16. If comparing lap times of riders on similar equipment on the same track is irrelevant, then 99% of the arguing points made on the forum are null and void.

turbulence likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hells to the yeahs! Who gives a rat's ass what rider x did at a test on some 2nd level track at a private test?

18. 418

418 Expert #59

I guess Ben Spies doesn't count huh?

Elias came in during a transitional time in US roadracing on arguably the best bike.

Plenty of foreing riders have gotten their asses kicked over here but let's ignore that fact.

19. 418

418 Expert #59

Before this goes off track any more.

Redding doesn't wanna ride BSB much less MA. He turned down a ride from Paul Bird.

20. Cam is the best rider in the US, on the best bike in the US, and has tons of track knowledge/data for Sonoma.

I am sure Cam could do well on the World stage. That isn’t the point. That isn’t what we are talking about.

The comment was made that those mid-pack MotoGP guys would struggle to run at the pointy end in our domestic series. That is ridiculous.

TX Joose, condon66 and turbulence like this.