1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which suit to buy if money not factored.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pefrey, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I put a pretty standard Dainese suit through more abuse than is conscionable; I finally retired it after colliding at ~170mph with another racer and sliding more than 500 feet (http://screencast.com/t/ExQa6260) over asphalt, dirt, grass and gravel... and popping right up and running to the wall with nothing more than bruises on my palms and ego. I can send you pictures of the suit if you'd like; not one of the seams burst during any crash I put it through - the leather's simply been worn thin/through enough in some of the big sections that it's no longer cost-effective to keep repairing it.

My current favorite is a REV'IT! suit, their (again, off-the-rack) suit fits me better and is more comfortable than any suit I've ever tried on, including a custom-fit SYED. Safety? I crashed on the Isle of Man wearing that suit, and was practicing in it again the very next day. Point, set, match.

2. ate51

ate51 Well-Known Member

Custom Kushitani if I had the $. That leather is like buttah but tough as hell. Heard good things about Helimot as well.

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Guys that get sponsored by leather companies also wear suits made of 1.0 or 1.1mm leather, which are designed to protect the rider through exactly one (1) crash. Their suits are designed for lightness, not for durability. I absolutely would not use a GP-level-rider's used leathers as my only suit.

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I have crashed my used Dianese suit 7 times. It had been repaired when I bought it. The thing is a beast. I started to look at replacing it this fall but decided not to, its better structurally than what I was looking at spending $600-$1k for.

5. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Komodo here also.... just excelent!!!

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

funny... lots of folks I know that went custom vanson regretted doing so.
    I regretted ordering a custom jacket/pants... that of course didnt fit together like I had requested.
    Also not all the "off the rack" stuff is frank thomas quality.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it. Every Vanson I have had has been excellent. Off the rack stuff can be great quality. It is always a crap shoot as to whether it fits or not. As to Vanson, I never had a problem with them making things good. Send it back.

8. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Plus one. Kushitani or Helimot.

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

My last two off the rack Arlen Ness suits have been the tits.

10. Spee D

Spee D Well-Known Member

You do realize the T raps, Tech Air and similar are air bag suits? Why
    an excellent $1200 suit jumps to $2500 or $2900. They inflate like the
    the Michelin man. OK, not exactly, but they do inflate to immobilize the
    head, neck and shoulder area.
    "The T-Raps GP-Max R070 One Piece Leather Suit offers an Air Bag Protection System built into the suit. It is a CO2 driven system which can be recharged and ready for reuse in minutes. It uses the famous 1.5mm Japanese Cowhide with silk screened graphics for maximum protection and durability. The overall design of this suit simply makes it easier to move on the bike without fighting the suit..."
    Why not a $2400 suit? Do you feel a CO2 powered air bag is worth
    $1200? If I won the lottery I'd have me a racer red Arai Corsair, RS Tachi
    T-Raps suit, custom fit, full body armor, Sidi boots, do-nutsssss...D'oh!
    Sorry :)

11. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Didnt read the whole thread but I'll add this...

Buddy of mine crashed at 150ish in an A* Race replica (>2,000 dollar suit) and was fine
    I highsided in a lower end (for A*) CR suit at around 85, bounced twice, and was fine
    When I say fine, I mean sore but okay. He broke a foot, I broke my hand, suit has nothing to do with either of these injuries

The armor in their suits just FEELS safe, seems to stay were it's supposed to, and WORKS! regardless of the price level

I'll be picking up another A* suit (prob GP Pro) for this year

12. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Truth is that two guys wearing identical suits can crash side by side at the same speed and the personal injuries and damage to the suit will be different for each one. Crashes are so weird. Lowside? You slide off and walk away. Highside? Never know what is going to happen, but def tests the suit a lot more than a long slide. Crashing is funny. I've walked away from 100 mph crashes and suffered serious injuries in them.

13. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Very true!

And while I'll take 10 lowsides over a highside... they suck too! and can also hurt (I know from one at VIR 2010)

14. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I have the RS WRX, It felt a little heavy coming off wearing a AN Roo titanium but I really like it. I would get another roo suit next time after I crash the shit out of the RS.

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

love my custom PSi suit. I've had Tecnik and Komodo before that.

16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

We have been using zooni custom suits for years. For nice price you get top quality custom suit. Made here in states. http://www.zoonileathers.com/

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You obviously have to try them on as everyone is different, but I was extremely surprised how well the Taichi's fit off the rack. I had Alexa take in the knee area a little bit because I'm just picky. The Taichi fit just as good/even a little better than the full custom Kushitani I had several years ago.

Taichi has American and Japanese sizing, which makes finding the right-fitting suit a lot easier than some other brands, with all the options they have.

18. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Best fitting suit I ever had is my Zooni. I've got Vanson, Zooni and Helimot.

19. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Money no object.
    Custom made Kushitani retro fitted with the armor of your choice (knees, elbows, shoulders).
    Measured to leave room for the back/chest protector combo of your choice.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You know, I had a Kushitani and it was a great suit, but I'd still pick the Taichi. All kidding aside. You save money and get arguably better protection with excellent feel.