1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's Dunlops apology

Discussion in 'General' started by TBSgraphics, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Uh if that reads week 2 Jan 09 and Jan 10, then that's an issue.

2. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I don't think the spec tire rule is necessarily a bad thing. But it seems to me that choosing dunlop might have been a bad thing. Given the history of Dunlop's unreliability, I think the AMA may have chosen money over safety in an attenuated sense... Not saying DMG or AMA should have foreseen this necessarily, but clearly other manufacturers have better track records for safety. I can only assume that the Dunlop put in the highest bid and that was good enough. Maybe consistency and safety should have carried more weight when the decision was made...

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Dunpop has a history of this... kind of hard to get over it when it happens again and again and again and again.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Please cite where I accused Dunlop of negligence.

I'll save you the leg work. I didn't.

Again, please don't quote my post and then issue a very general response to what other people are saying in this thread. My original point remains. It's not a "shit happens" situation and adding "it could have been worse" isn't a reasonable response either.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Not true. Dunlop would have gotten it stopped anyway.

A few years agothey had a race shortened because they could not finish the race and knew it. Nevermind all the other brands could. In my mind that means the dunlop riders should have pitted (even thought it was at a "normal" race, not Daytona) and the other riders kept racing. Not their fault. But dunlop has the power.

6. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

Go to cyclenews.com and click on the digital edition then read page 14. I found this an interesting read.

7. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Just as devils advocate. Kaw had a bunch of cracked/broken frames a few years ago, and I have seen honda frames bust in normal conditions too.

As for suzukis frames breaking, the bikes are designed to be ridden. They are not designed to be crashed. That is what most people bitch about

If they were breaking under use (as the one year that was recalled was, which is also the case of the Kaw and Hondas I speak of) then there is concern. Breaking in a crash, well....... dont crash. All bets are off when you take 400+ lbs of aluminum and start trying to go bowling with it IMO

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

But thats the AMA's fault for cowtowing to them... the race should not have been stopped for 1 manf failure when they others are fine.

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I agree, but I assume Dunlop helps AMA pay their bills, and as such they can pretty much do what they want. Racing is a business after all.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

as soon as you buy up all the airtime needed! :D

11. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

They wanted to clear old inventory. :(

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

do you know what caused Eslicks front end to tuck?

13. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

They are a business. Their FIRST priority is to make money. Everything else is secondary. Yes, they have to have some sort of quality to make money but businesses have been known to cut corners, short change, etc. to make a higher profit. A business gambles on its decisions whether they will work or not. I would truly like to see the cause of the tire failures.

And no, shit just doesn't happen. My friend ended up in a concrete wall about 8 years ago that ended a very promising career. Thank you Dunlop.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Although I'd love to see an apology, does anyone know if any other manufacturer has successfully completed a tire test there under the same loads/stresses?

15. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Just give it a few hours,all of you will know what the AMA and Dunlop were thinking when all of this went down............stay tuned

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I am in no way saying that there was something wrong with any bike that caused this, just that it seemed more prevalent on some bikes. Could be due to more front percentage or more aero front downforce or less for that matter.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That was 2005. I was sitting on the grass hill just across from the spot where Rolf Schumacher hit the wall when his Michelin's disintegrated. I spent alot of money to watch that 4 car parade that they called a race, but it would have been a disaster if they all would have been out there.

Sometimes shit happens beyond any reasonable control. We try to figure it out and do better next time.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

i thought i also read a report that in the winter testing they reversed the tire compounds on the bikes, accidentially

if that's true, how can they be trusted with a rider's life at 180 mph + and inspire confidence :confused:

BTW I actually like Dunlops and use them on my bike but this is not very good on their part

19. snowbizx

snowbizx Well-Known Member

i fixed dunlop's RTS website for them:

[​IMG]

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Took me a minute to find the Fixor in that photo :D