1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's Dunlops apology

Discussion in 'General' started by TBSgraphics, Mar 15, 2011.

1. TBSgraphics

TBSgraphics Well-Known Member

After forcing the change to 600's for the daytona 200 a few years ago becuase they couldn't build a tire worth a crap, now this past weekend we had them cuase a race shorted, raced delayed race, cuase of tire failures again. Putting the races, Danny and others in serious danger and still not even a P/R from them. 25 years I have avioded using them, due to simular issues back then and now same thing. Yet another reason for me to keep saying they are the SH1%iest tires out there...

I want to see Dunlop apologize to ever race fan out there for letting us down.....

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It'll never happen, no matter how much history of product failure there is.

3. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Although this is not a normal occurrence shouldn't it not be unexpected? Pirelli had issues the last WSS round.

4. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

when was the new pavement finished. i highly doubt they had time to test at it, and produce new tires in time for the race. cut them some slack

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They did a rainy test a few months ago, some tires chunked in a few laps. :)

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

yeah cuz they cant look @ weather.com and see that its going to hotter on race day :rolleyes:

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

One thing that puzzles me is how well the Dunlops have been performing at the club level and other AMA tracks, yet they still have a hard time developing a tire for Daytona. Granted, it's a track that puts unique stresses on tires (and the new surface adds another dynamic altogether), but after all these years you'd think they'd have enough data to understand what's minimally needed in the design to prevent these kind of failures from happening.

8. Rx3

Rx3 1%

If you watched the broadcast, the Dunlop rep said "sorry to all the fans for messing up the race" or something very close to that (during the red flag delay).

9. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

+1, he was a vice president or something

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

the problem isnt Dunpop, the problem is DIS is NOT a motorcycle race track and never will be.

11. JustinCase

JustinCase I Forget

They will probably apologize right after your elementary school English teacher does. :Poke::D

12. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Sebastian I think it was?

They did test, and make new tires, but I don't think they tested with such a high temperature track surface. The track was super cold at the test.

To their credit they also scheduled two separate tests.

I'd give them an E for effort, F for results.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You beat me. As much as I am disappointed that the whole fiasco happened, I understand that it is hard to take every variable into consideration. THey could have made a harder tire that could last, but I am sure the riders wanted a tire that would be fast. With the amount of power and corner speeds that bikes are able to have today I am sure it is extremely hard to make a tire that will hold up. Add in a new surface that is unknown, weather that can change in a second, different bike setups, different riding styles and even more. I bet a super computer would have a hard time working that problem out. I don't know much about bike setup, but I do know that with cars getting the proper tire setup (size, pressure, compound and such) is very hard on the best of days. And we have 4 wheels that have 10x the contact patch on each tire then a motorcycle does in total. I am in no way trying to make excuses for Dunlop. I am just kinda sympathizing with them.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mike Buckley is the VP who is in charge of all bike related stuff. He was interviewed but I didn't hear it.

15. cobes

cobes Well-Known Member

I thought the first year where AMA went to Dunlop spec they used the UK stuff for Daytona becasue they were a more durable tire with more options for compound.

16. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

I thought it was pretty well understood that Daytona has always been uniquely harsh on tires?? Maybe Dunlop still deserves some blame, but hasn't this been an issue -- to balance a tire that has grip and longevity (resistance to overheating) -- since like the '60s?

17. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

I'm just curious if riders had to pay for the new tires.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Really? I watched a hell of a motorcycle race there last Saturday.

It is a special place for sure in my opinion. It's also the most historic Motorcycle race in the USA.

As for the tires, the fronts were the same as what has been used the last few years. We had ZERO issue's with them. The new pavement is much kinder to the tires, much less abrasive. Maybe there were a few bad tires, maybe some of the bikes had charecteristics that pushed them past thier limits. Saying the tires are Crap is a very small minded view of the whole situation. JMO

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on just the people I've talked to and the pictures all over the net, it wasn't just a few tires. Hell, Dunlop asking for the race to be stopped proves it wasn't just a few.

Anyone know how old they were?

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The tires used at Daytona are some of the hardest tires I've ever stuck a Durometer in when cold, hot they are fairly soft. They wear VERY VERY little at Daytona with the new surface, the problem wasn't a wear related issue. It was most likely due to a lack of wear...