1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats wera think of my new project?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by chuck1234, Feb 23, 2011.

1. chuck1234

chuck1234 Well-Known Member

well ive been trying to pretty much give away a yz125 engine ($80 for it) so im going to use it to create my own version of a 125 gp bike. to start off the engine is going to be ripped apart and im going to cut anything i can off the cases to save weight. its getting a tz125 crank. some sort of dry clutch. no kickstart. the rear engine mount is getting cut. it will have an all custom frame and nice suspension. it will be a 3-4 year project but in the end i hope to race it or do track days.

2. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

It's cool

Some folks race, others do what you are describing...

3. chuck1234

what do you mean? im going to use this thread to ask alot of questions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Sorry dude

It just screamed "fire pit on high, with fella throwing handfuls of $100's into the flaming abyss:

Dry clutch necessitating a one off custom hand made / sand cast cover - $1000-2000?

"Custom" Frame - $5000 - $7500?

Suspension - $1000-5000?

Wheels/brakes - $1000-3000

Bodywork complete - $1000-3000

Now ask yourself how much does a nice RS125, or similar cost, AND you can be racing right now

On a side note - have you contacted Shervin, re: all the cutting going on?

It was probably the mention of the $80 YZ125 engine that got me thinking, "Man, if I could help snap this guy outta this before he starts throwing real money around, then maybe, just maybe there could be some meaning to my life" kine thing, Brah.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think Coop is just a naysayer, trying to be a downer to your ideas. I would say he doesn't have a freaking clue what he is talking about, but that wouldn't be true, since he has been around the block a time or two. However, I would suggest you take a more clear look at your project and budget. It does look like you have your time frame about right.
    Are you going to make the frame yourself?
    What are you going to use for suspension, brakes and wheels?
    What are you going to use for bodywork?

Have you considered starting out by sticking the YZ motor into a test chassis, like a Ninja 250 or something to get it working right first and then getting a frame going after that?

Ken

6. chuck1234

i inherited a whole machine shop about a month ago so im not too worried about paying other people to do build things. plan is to build frame out of chromoly or aluminum (ill spend maybe $300 on that) and steal suspension,clutch etc off of other bikes. like i want to do it with a yzf250 front end.

also from the way i had it drawn out there would be no cover over the clutch (like a ducati) and i would only leave enough of the old cover on to let the water pump work.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  7. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

If you have a small lathe you want to sell let me know

8. erichsoncycles

erichsoncycles Well-Known Member

I have a EX250 frame and a guy down the street has the wheels and suspension for $300... YZ 250... dont think yer so nifty....

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Go for it. Sounds fun.:up:

10. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

you could back it down a notch or two on the ambition scale and so something similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    have fun, whatever you do. sounds like a labor of love.

11. chuck1234

im hoping for fairings though. ive decided to do it.

12. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

Inherting a machine shop is cool. BUT HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN ONE?

HAVE YOU EVER DONE ANY REAL DESIGN WORK? Its great to have ideas to build something like this. But if you havent got the skills you might want to start on a smaller project.

And if you do have the skills to build it. Go for it but 3-4 years seems a little long. I built my cr500 bike in about 7 months from design to paint. [​IMG]

13. blong

blong Active Member

Talk more about that custom cr500 please...

14. chuck1234

yea please do like whats the tank and swingarm from. and i have built a custom banshee drag racing frame.

15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Tank looks like a Honda Hawk

Tail is a TZ 250 tail

Swingarm looks fabricated as well as the chassis.

Looks like GSXR front end and wheels.

I would love to take this out for a lap or two!

16. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

CR500 engine in a chassis I fabricated out of 1 1/8 cromo and the swing arm is 1x2 sq cromo tubing. Tank is a modified Hawk GT and the tail is from a TZ250 as Chuck said. The forks and wheels were from a ZX7R. Fox shock from a Ducati 900ss. Both were resprung for the lower weight. Fairing was from a RC45.
    I built it around numbers from 250 GP bikes of the day as well as the Ducati super mono. It never made it onto a scale but i would say it was a little under 200# with out fuel. I had to have custom sprokets made for the motor to get the gearing in the ballpark. AND IT SHOCK LIKE A PAINT SHAKER!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

17. DocGF

DocGF Doc

Would like to see that with a Banshee motor built to 397cc

Nice work!

18. DocGF

DocGF Doc

Nice work! Would like to see that with a Built Banshee / 6 speed.

19. chuck1234

why 397cc? id go with a 421 cub

20. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

You're talking in past tense. What happened to it?