1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gps lap timer

Discussion in 'General' started by vdub 2.0, Jul 24, 2016.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

looking to pick up a unit and wanted to get some Information from people that had first hand experience woth them. What unit/brand is worth spending the money on and easy to use? What features are a big plus to have?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I hate to answer a question with a question, but this is just to give you food for thought.

What features do you want?

I'm waiting for my new AIM Solo to arrive from RD. I got rid of my XT Racing timer because I just don't care about all the other
    features. I just want my lap times. Plain and simple...so I'm going to a timer that gives me that plain and simple.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm very happy with my AIM Solo as well. K.I.S.S.

LilBabyGirl and Dragginass like this.
  4. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I bought one couple years ago and it has done fine.
    I'm in the process of trying find a gps lap timer that I can use as a dash on a sv 650 now also

5. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

At first I was looking for a bare bones gps lap times, but I see some have the capability to overlay mph/track position onto video and didn't see a big difference in price but I can't remember the brand now.

6. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

7. I want a gps lap timer I can't see when I'm on the bike. I would rather just have a gps/recording thing in the tail with a usb accessible and I'll just plug my computer in and check the times. Seems like such a waste of money to have a screen and interface on the bike for me. I have an aim mychron that I've turned on once and it's mounted down low and left. It bothers me as it is.

8. I like the AIM Solo also.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

See! It's Broome approved. So it must be just that damned good! :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. If i am being totally honest, i originally just got one because it had bigass numbers. I hated how my XT GPS timer just had the lap time displayed in little numbers in the corner. So i got rid of it and got the AIM one instead.

....then of course after i had already shitcanned the XT one, somebody tells me that you can go into the menu and change the XT one to show the lap time in big numbers. :rtfrb:

But i do like how the AIM one is a little smaller and easier to mount, so i kept on using them. I got one for the other bikes also. Speaking of which, i need to get one for the 675R.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Being able to see it is the whole point. It's showing you where you're gaining or losing time as it happens, especially if you set it up to show splits.

12. I don't want that data while I'm riding. That's my whole point. I want to analyze it once I'm done working on X, Y or Z on the track and then I can compare it to what I was working on vs lap time.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope, it doesn't fully replace the stock dash, its just a basic lap timer. I think Starlane make other ones that are full dash replacements. Although there is a datalogging hub add-on for it that lets you connect sensors for RPM, suspension travel, brake pressure etc etc to collect it all centrally for data acquisition.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

XT racing FTW...great timer, nice software, and can log all kinds of things.

Customer Service is great and relatively reasonable prices to fix the screen when the bike goes tumbling at Mt. Everest elevations

17. Here is an idea, don't look at it. :D

Or you could cover it up with duct tape.

Or you could mount it in a hidden spot.

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

19. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I recently acquired a SoloDL for my zx10 (Riders Discount had it in stock!). I wanted something that I could see my lap times during a session to know if I'm on pace or not and also wanted a bit of data logging. So far the DL aspect might as well be Egyptian hyroglyphics (actually that might be easier) but I like that I don't have to reach for my phone and look at MyLaps to see what my pace was.

Mounted so it's easily visible while riding at pace but I can also still see my dash. I didn't want it on the tank like a lot of people mount it, that's too far out of sight at speed.
    [​IMG]

buzz-06 likes this.
  20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

AIM Solo.