1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gps lap timer

Discussion in 'General' started by vdub 2.0, Jul 24, 2016.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

looks like im picking up and AIM solo thanks guy!

2. I just think it's a waste of money to have an on bike interface. My laptop is with me at the track regardless. A good gps lap timer is +/- $500. Seems it could be accomplished for half that with out an interface and just using a laptop.

And duct tape? Coming from you? Oh lordy how times have changed.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Look for a used Race Technology DL1
    you should be able to pick up an older one for ~250

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Surprised no one suggested phone yet... Even though I would never use that

5. That's exactly what I want but the dl1 sport (newer than what you suggested) is $500 euros.

6. baconologist

hey man....I suggested the used one. You're the one who went window shopping for the latest gizmo.

Talk to this guy, Jeremy http://www.fasttechlimited.com/FASTtech_Limited/Home.html
    he sometimes has demo's or rental units he's replacing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. Haha. Hey man, I wanted to see what it did. Then I got sucked in. And it's $859 usd fml. I'll stick one with a screen under my damn draft pan. Lol

8. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

A phone only has a 1hz GPS receiver in it, not nearly precise enough to be useful on the track. It can be off by as much as a second every lap not to mention drift and other fun bits of GPS signals.

10Hz really is the minimum for a solid signal and even those can get messy if there are a lot of walls or buildings around.

I have been using an XT Racing timer for a few years now. It does a great job and allows for expandability when you want to go beyond just lap times.

Being able to see RPM and throttle position is a great tool for improving your lap times.

9. baconologist

The nice thing abt the Solo is the predictive time feature. Once you get the first lap, it tells you if your next lap will be and constantly updates that.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

I agree 100% XT is a great timer. Just commenting that usually a phone GPS was a suggestion, glad we've gotten past those recommendations ;)

11. I said YOU could use duct tape, not me. :D

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

But if you did that shit would be straight

13. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

I picked up a aim solo, how do you guys have it mounted? it's a little bigger and heavier then I expected and don't want to leave it to just the magnets on the gas tank.

14. Mine is mounted using the bolt for the front of the gas tank.

15. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Some people use the XT Holder and mount the solo to that onto the top of the fork cap sticking up past the triple clamp:

http://www.xtracing.com/en/accessories/index.php

Aim makes mounts that are bike specific also:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-bike/solo/installation-kits/index.htm

16. baconologist

The magnets work pretty good on the 250.
    I did add a piece of sheet metal to the fairing stay to get it more in view for the kid.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

can call aim and get the bracket that mounts to the top of your triple clamps. it has 2 tiny screws that can be turned in, but the magnets alone hold it in place really well. not sure how they are for other model bikes, but for an r6 it's a breeze. it's especially nice if you have 2 bikes. just grab and swap over.

i didn't used to like having a timer, but in an endurance race a couple years ago i was using one. i found it super helpful and could see that i gained little time when pushing super hard (and tiring myself out) vs. just running smooth, pinpoint accurate laps. i run em in races now to see when leading, if i'm doing enough to keep ahead or just how bad i botched a lap if i blew a corner. i don't like looking back, but i suppose that would be helpful too..

here's the link to the brackets.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016