1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your BEST garage organization tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by Six3SixGal, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Hanging stuff from the ceiling helps too.

rk97 likes this.
  2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Really getting things up off the ground and making use of overhead space is a big part of it. Especially if you have to keep non-bike stuff in there as well.

3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

IMG_0663.JPG Ive got a single car garage. I keep my work bike, dirt bike and race bikes in there.

Utilize all of your wall space. If you can hang and mount odd shaped stuff in the wall, designate an area for those types of shapes. Try and tetris it into fitting into a specific area.

Simple shelving, closets and cabinets are key. Keep what you can off of the floor!

Be mindful of power outlets and such. Ill see if i can get some better pictures up later

4. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Im sensing a theme here: get the shit off the floor! haha.. we have 2 R6s, 2 Groms, a 675, an R1, a CRF250, 2 CRF150s, a CRF 450 SM, and a shifter kart to store. Plus tires and spares It's going to be tiiiiight

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shelves - I really like the metal wire shelves with wheels for the basement, I can roll them together to tighten things up and roll out the one that has what I need on it. Opens up more floor space. Kitchen cabinets and counter from your favorite box store for workbench area, great storage and cheap. Not the sturdiest so my vice is on one I built since the vice also gets used as an anvil when needed and the grinder is on it's own stand but it's perfect for working on things and the drill press.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shifter cart can go on it's own shelf. As can the 150's and groms if you need them to.

rk97 likes this.
  7. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

OOO i like that idea.. we could almost stack them if we had something on wheels to move it while we were loading

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have big heavy duty shelves. Every race bike (3) gets a 6'x4'x2' shelf unit, no more. I can fit an entire bike into the shelves with room to spare. I am about to get a set of containers to hold all of the fasteners and small fiddly parts instead of Ziploc bags and tubs. The dirt bikes all share a shelf set with the kid's bikes.

It is handy when a bike is fubar to be able to shelve it, literally, while I wait for parts or time. Currently, the bane of my existence in garage organization is takeoffs and the '67 FJ40 landcruiser project that doesn't fit into shelving.

Let me know if someone wants a package deal on an FJ40 project. :/

GM GIXXER likes this.
  9. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

It all starts with a proper work bench.

Attached Files:

ineedanap and fastfreddie like this.
  10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Shelving, cabinets, tables, totes, and an ample amount of toys.

Attached Files:

JJJerry and fastfreddie like this.
  11. No.

The Groms should be in the middle of the garage, encased in glass, with spotlights shining on them.

:D

BigBird likes this.
  12. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

yeah these are good. and the best tip I can think of for a small shop is put everything that is on the floor, on wheels.

i had a small 2-car that was unfinished inside for the longest. open rafters above was great for storage. exposed wall studs were also great after adding hundreds of cross 2x4 shelving between them all.

p.s. and lots of tool carts, and keep one of them empty at all times for current projects.

13. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

What's the deal on the FJ? I miss mine :D

14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Good God man.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not quite as good as AOD's garage, but close.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Put everything you can't hang from the walls (or ceiling) on wheels.

I have several Metro shelving units I can roll around the shop whenever I need floor space in a particular area.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The 450 probably takes up the most space. Tall.

Groms and R6's on the ground (groms under a shelf). 250 on top of the groms.

I bet you could hang the 150s from the rafters with ratchet straps and teamwork.

18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Whenever these threads come up I just wait for Eddie to come in and make everyone envious, including myself.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I am building hinged work bench space with folding legs and lockouts. Makes putting a bike under a 4' work bench easy.

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hey Bo Carp.... Put up a Pic and Kill this thread!!!, LOL

masshole and Banditracer like this.