1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your BEST garage organization tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by Six3SixGal, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Hi Guys,

Trying to fit too many bikes/race bits/tires/tools into a 1 car garage. What is the best organizational tip/product you've seen? Pics are even better!

Thanks!

2. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

get as much as possible off the floor.

TurboBlew, noles19 and Steeltoe like this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No women, no chairs.

4. fastfreddie

Uh...oops. :D

5. fastfreddie

DIY shelving. Simple 2x4 and plywood held together with deck screws. Build the first shelf platform tall enough that you can park the/a bike under it. Should easily come out to a 2' x 8' couple of shelves, the lower and the top. Screws for future adjustment, don't want to have to pull nails, bolts are more work.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simplest and best organizational tip? Throw shit away! If the item is something you haven't looked at in a few years, is something you might use or need someday or just have because it was cheap/ free/ an ex gave you, it's time for it to go.

You're welcome!

Metalhead, TurboBlew, pscook and 2 others like this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

No kids stuff

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

build bigger garage or add barn

TurboBlew, BigBird and G 97 like this.
  9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Build a bigger garage.

Dammit, beat me.

10. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

My garage has a 10ft ceiling, so I ran 2' shelving at 8' and 6' around the perimeter of the garage then from the 6' section I added a coat rack for hanging suits, work jackets, etc. Tool boxes and old shelving units for spray cans and sssorted stuff are under the shelving. Still need to add a proper air compressor and plumb to the basement workshop as well as garage.

Costco sells some 4x8 shelving units that suspend from the ceiling. Been meaning to pick up one of those as well to use some of the wasted space in the ceiling

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

This

12. fastfreddie

I've moved the lower shelf down, used to park a dirt bike under it. Four 2x4s and 1 sheet of plywood, it's 6' tall. The sheet was ripped in half and the corners notched to accept the uprights, drop in. I built two of these about 15 years ago, still have/use 'em.

Since, I've moved on to scavenging office furniture - file cabinets make good platforms for benches (scavenge table tops, doors, whatever) and loose storage. Rolling tables make good tool carts.

Attached Files:

13. Six3SixGal

Can't.. downtown Seattle... not exactly big on space.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I feel like mine is decent these days. A few things I've done:

-Build a shed - put all non-car/bike shit in it
    -Put air compressor attic. Plumbed air line in ceiling mounted reel with regulator / dryer on wall. It's switched on by wall switch in box with light switch.
    -Built shelving in attic for spares rarely needed
    -Found someone remodeling a huge kitchen, and put their cabinets along one wall in the garage - uppers and lowers. Then a top to use as a work bench. The cabinets make great storage.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Paging RRP. :D

16. fastfreddie

My biggest score, a dozen stand up file cabinets. Imagining how much weight each drawer must handle in paper, I can pretty much put a complete disassembled engine in each.

Hmmm...guess I reached my limit for pics.

17. This.

I have that same approach with stuff in the house (clothes, etc). If a full year has went by (all 4 weather seasons, or a full race season, whatever) and I didn't use or wear something, then I throw it away.

Metalhead likes this.
  18. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I've been thinking of doing this for a couple of years. Any issues with vibration from it being up in the attic/trusses? I was thinking of plumbing a drain from the tank also to be able to drain the water periodically. Would love to see some pics if you have any.

Oh yeah, to the OP - www.garagejournal.com You will waste hours looking at ideas on that site.

Six3SixGal and ekraft84 like this.
  19. Six3SixGal

I'm definitely down with this. I've moved.... 6 times in the past 6 years (former Army spouse) and purge probably more often than I should. I could probably fit 90% of my clothes (excluding moto stuff) in a suitcase or two. I'm becoming more and more obsessed with the idea of minimalism. (http://www.theminimalists.com/start/).

My SO on the other hand, has everything in the garage laying on the floor so my bikes have no chance at going in the garage if I stop by and we ALWAYS have to use my garage to work on them. Operation: Optimize Mitch's garage will soon be underway. Thanks for all the tips!

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

There's an electronic auto drain with a hose (tube) that you can route to drain the tank automatically.
    https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Automatic-Tank-Drain-Compressors/dp/B00273WV78

I screwed a 3/4" piece of plywood over a few trusses. Two of the legs had thick rubber on them, so I made matching mounts for the others and bolted it to the plywood. You can hear it from inside the house, but it's not any louder than if it was just sitting in the main garage. No vibration issues. My ceiling is drywalled and insulated, it's been drama free.

acorn27 likes this.