1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

Pellet grill...OMG where have these been my whole life? Super easy to set and maintain temp. Search out best pellets for taste, but it ain’t rocket science. I’m on my second Pit Boss.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

There use to be a thread about cooking a pork butt for pulled pork. If I can find it I'll link it this one.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No, I have no idea on what that is? An email mailing list or 'zine or something?

4. You can spend $10-50 on some of the more inexpensive smokers and make them perform better than the higher end ones. It’s hard to beat a BGE if you have the $ for one. They are like an iPhone, just do everything good. I have a semi custom built vertical smoker but with a bit of offset heat flow ducted so it’s a very even heat distribution. I’ll have to uncover it and take pics but I put a fair amount of work ensuring the bottom rack, and the top rack that’s 48” ish away it’s the same temp and smoke doesn’t stagnate. I have 8 servo operated vents total, 12 thermo couple and run through a controller that’s basically just an arduino card. Was just something I did up with stuff I had laying around. It will go about 16-18 hours on charcoal, woods obviously a bit more labor intensive. I’m more of a fruit wood person regardless of meat, but that’s what’s great about using a smoker. I’d fail a bbq competition miserably because that’s not how I like my meat to taste and certain categories texture. Personal preference.

5. I’ve been cheating miserably and upsetting the bbq pioneers cheating with the sous vide. Really hard to f it up doing it this way. You have to try hard to over cook it (in the smoker) and unless you have an amount of smoke in there that’s lingering on the meat you won’t over smoke it either.

6. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

If I'm in a hurry, I put a little USB-powered fan up to the vent at the bottom and hook it up to a small portable charger. With the little firestarter I get from Lowe's and the fan, I'll get the grill up to 400 degrees within a couple minutes. The problem is if I'm not paying attention, it'll go over 700 degrees before I realize what's happened.

7. That’s why you hook up the fan, thermocouple, etc to an arduino board, add some offsets in there so example fan cuts off at 220 as you know temp will rise to to 225-227 after fans cut off. Takes some trialing to get that point right but once you do it makes life so much easier.

8. This ones not cheap but you get the idea. I’ve done something like this but added more thermo couples plus an additional fan if for some reason food zone got too hot, etc. Was just looking to take an idea I had and make it work which I did. Plus I think I may have $50 into mine if I had to buy all the pieces new.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

At a concentration that will flame?

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Traditional Indian smoked salmon, stripped and hung? I think not. In fact, you can't cold-smoke a damn think in one of those. :Poke::D
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?attachments/img_1065-jpg.111753/

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

12. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Adding a separate switch to the combustion fan on a pellet grill quickly turns them into a phenomenal cold smoking chamber. That's my next smoking project.

13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

An old DC area zine...........stemmed from someone from the ol' DCHC scene. It always seemed a bit hippy-ish or just really out there......never could figure the guy out really. He did some stuff with Tesco........but memory of what it was is vague now. Thought you might have known the zine or the guy that wrote it.

14. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

You're going to make me Google, aren't you? :crackup:

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I didn't get to DC until after I really stopped going to shows. I was more out of NJ/ NY/ Conn and sometimes Boston.
    I never wrote for 'zines but I did used to troll Maximum rock and roll and their elitist crap attitude. pre internet days and I used to submit some f@cked up records reviews of made up bands and shows and trolled the writers. Even got some things published there. :crackup:

16. britx303

Ahh didn't realise you're a wicked new englandah.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

More from a little redneck/ preppy PA town. :D

18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Just threw a 8lb pork shoulder in the egg with hickory. Now we wait.

19. britx303

Im from a redneck/redneck town:D

20. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Fixed...