1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

On the thermometers - be careful about getting water in the probes. I kept killing the smoker probe by leaving it in the smoker until I pull my head out of my ass. Went through 3 or 4 Maverick ones, also lost probes for the meat when the boss would help me by washing things. Switched over to the ThermoWorks Smoke and no issues out of them no matter what I do to them. Adding in the wifi module is really nice too for keeping an eye on things further away.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Well, they call it a pellet grill, not a pellet smoker so I expected more versatility. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I've heard of plenty of people with Traegers say the same thing- they don't get real hot. It works fine for some things, but doesn't work great for anything but jerky or bacon. For smoking pork, it works, but I don't think the pellets put off much smoke- I prefer the kamado for that (or even a gas or electric that has a chip tray). Lastly, the pellet pooper goes thru quite a bit of fuel.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Are the said starter squares petroleum based? That was my main reason with switching from briquettes to hardwood charcoal and stopped using starter fluid. I could taste it in my food. even after allowing the briquettes to burn for a while.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He ain't ready yet for the truff. :blart:

Give him a red pill.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I just fill a chimney with charcoal, stuff the bottom with paper set it on the grill (or ground) and light it up, then dump it in when lit ~10 minutes. I don't use lighter fluid, or anything else. Chimney cost $5, and has lasted many years.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

https://biggreenegg.com/product/speedilight-charcoal-starters/

There are generic versions that cost about 1/3 of the BGE ones. Typically for me a box of starters lasts about as long as 20 pounds of charcoal if I am just doing quick cooks. No chemical flavors from them that I have been able to detect. No smell like using lighter fluid. Also less chance of singing eyebrows.

In a pinch a wad of paper towers soaked in vegetable oil works as well.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I didn't like the original title anymore and thought this one worked a bit better. :D

Thanks all for the info. I'm trying to take it all in and figure it all out.
    This is turning out to be a much bigger project than I first thought, I'm thinking of having a concrete slab poured to put whatever I get on. I don't feel like burning down my tiny back yard.

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Here is a thought. Go to Lowe’s, buy an electric smoker and try out the smoking thing. It will work fine until you decide if you want to go whole hog into this. If you do then spend the money on something better. I figure this should appeal to your frugal nature. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Tooling for Anus is not the same thing?

10. srush

srush Active Member

Tooling for Pork Butt... That's You!

11. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

New thread title lol

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Meatmen would make a good name for a gay metal band.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Meatmen is the name of a pretty famous punk band and the title of the thread comes from one of their albums.

[​IMG]

Metalhead likes this.
  14. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

I saw the Meatmen in the late 80's at a community hall here in Des Moines. Tesco Vee was carrying around a big black dildo and was bonking all the punk chicks on the head.

15. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

BGE gets my vote. Besides all the usual shiz y'all have posted here, it does a sick meatloaf. Smoked nachos is also one my favorites to do on there. The BGE is so versatile, it will do anything an oven, smoker, and grill will do.

16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The Meatmen!!! Hell Yeah!!

17. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Great advice... I started with a $25 bullet smoker from Home Depot and it was a dick around, but made me realize I liked it enough to spend the money on something nicer.

18. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Tesco Vee signed my D backstage Emo's mid 90's :)

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Dave,outta curiosity were you a Krylon Underground subscriber?

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

And if you want a quick functional charcoal BBQ, get out an old hair dryer and oxidize the fukkers while the paper is burning and help them shift to gray & hot!

If your family is used to charcoal BBQ, at first you'll have a few "What do you mean the hamburgers are ready??!!!" until they get use to it...

:D