1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Yamaha R3 Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Aug 9, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that annoys me more than it annoys you guys trust me!

Scott S. and Cam Morehead like this.
  2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Well I'm not annoyed at all.... Ha ha. We have so much support for the little ones this year. If you and Miss Ev can do a little something new or special, great. If not, you tried. All good.

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Isn't KTMs contract with MA up after 2017? If they don't renew, it will be interesting to see what happens. I like the spec class but if another manufacturer doesn't step up, it may turn into a World Supersport 300 class.

4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

All true. It was tough when when we rode the little GP bikes starting back in 2012 I think. All the pictures I have of those days are of the same five or six kids. Spread that reality to the bigger picture in other countries and it kinda makes sense why Americans are not where we once were. Just lousy timing

5. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

I personaly talked to the powers that be at KTM about this. The response was, "This has been the rumor every year since 2015":. Period, that was all. The first contract was two years, then one year. Next year who knows? No reason they should tell me. I dont think they know yet. Season entries where down by 16 riders this year and they gained 4 new ones, over thirty on the grid at some events in 2016 and only 17 at Sonoma. I went to a WERA race at Roebling when I was back east a few months ago just to watch and hang out. The rumor there was, sell your KTM now while its still worth something.
    Just once I would like some concrete news WELL in advance of the next season. Im gonna roll the dice again I guess. Again. why I started this post.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

MA needs another twins class...

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'd like to see the rules package for that.

8. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Kinda like Moto ST rules?

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

was that hp limited?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When those good old days happened we didn't have kids classes or even that many kids racing...

11. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I am offended, I may act like a kid, but pay taxes and race this class.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Which part offended you? :D

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

That's the key part most of us are looking for.
    It's hard to budget when things get launched at the last minuet. never mind the bike/parts availability issues that seem to come up.

bbsteinnewyork likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then it's simple - don't chase a National Pro series with your kid. Work on the basics, get as much track time as you absolutely can for them on whatever bike you own now until they're ready to move up, then do the same on the next step, when they're at the 600 level do a full season of club racing wherever you are and again get them as much track time as possible. All the while keep working on sponsorships - getting and keeping them. Don't push too hard too fast. Don't get over your head and believe all the people telling you that running pro is the only way to fame and glory - because the reality is that's been the path to burnout and failure and the path I described has had much more success.

Don't think the US will ever be like Spain or whatever Euro country - it won't. Spain is the size of one of the club race regions in the US - so do what they do and race as much as you can within a sensible distance (and hence sensible cost) from home.

Be realistic about this and it is doable. Expecting or thinking that going pro asap is the biggest mistake you can make if you want to be able to afford to stick with it long term - and long term is what will get the kids ready to be pro and potentially make a living at this. Not a single one of the riders you all look at as successes went pro right away. They all worked their asses off locally and then moved up as their skills progressed from regional to pro/am to pro. There is a reason we have the National Challenge Series still - it works for the sport as a whole.

15. baconologist

What I, and I think Scott are referring to extends beyond pro racing. Our desire to plan / budget includes announcements in January, when the first race is the 3rd weekend in Feb.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What specifically are you talking about then? Contingency money and choosing a bike based on that? It's been an issue since contingency came out sadly and will never change. Be happy it's starting in January now - it used to be announced right before the 200 in March.

17. baconologist

that's a frame of reference some of us newbs lack.
    Thanks

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If that's what you're talking about yeah, it's frustrating as hell. Best bet is to go with the prior year. Specialty programs like the R3 Cup we're doing not so much but the basic contingencies don't change much unless we (the country/industry/world) are having a major economic issue.

19. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

^^ What he said.... And I will add to it.... "If you are not winning consistently where you are, don't progress to the next level."

We have had this same exact discussion before. We aren't Spain. There were never huge grids of kids. All that has been covered. Here is what IS different. IF you had 10-14ish yo kids, there were RS125s available for them to race and IF you wanted "apples to apples" racing, it was easier to achieve. Now GP bikes are rare. I am not talking about a NSF50, RS85. Sean hit it on the head though. Give your kid the opportunity to ride 2 wheels as often as THEY want to ride. No one "builds" a racer and they aren't "born". They have to "build" themselves. Give them the ingredients to make the mix....

I still hope to figure out a way to get lots of fast kids, on the same track, at the same time, at least 1 time per year, on close to the same bikes..... Think RS125/Moriwaki250/Metrakit125.

BTW, my definition of "Pro Rider" means you can pay your bills with your paycheck from riding/racing.

Scott S. likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here - and that isn't necessarily just a paycheck, it would include all income through sponsors or whoever.

Scott S. and Cam Morehead like this.