1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Yamaha R3 Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Aug 9, 2017.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Second season now? How was the turnout? Coming back for 2018?

2. bbsteinnewyork

bbsteinnewyork Active Member

Rumor has it that the 300 class will be growing at all organizations in the USA in 2018

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Still kinda light this year.
    Mid central is semi popular, down south and up north is small grids and not enough for payouts.

GNF R3 cup race will be interesting again...

Phl218 and r6boater like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet another year of the people saying the little bikes will be the next big thing and reality not agreeing :D

We will have the E class for sure and we have had decent R3 turnout overall so hopefully it's enough to keep Yamaha on board.

I'm amazed that with all the talk of people wanting contingency money there aren't more going after what is already out there. Especially when the buy in is so cheap.

Wheel Bearing and dtalbott like this.
  5. Seems like the people doing it are having a ton of fun.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've seen some massive little bike grids this year.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So have we - when all the little bikes in 1/4 of the country show to the same event :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, don't get why more people aren't doing it. Best guess is they get mad when the kids beat them :D

Cam Morehead and panthercity like this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'll buy another R3 when grids get to SV levels. Most of the north central races I went to had 3 guys, and that's because I brought 2 R3's.
    I didn't get mad when the tykes beat me, I got faster. And yes, relative to a 600 they are cheap to build and run- but I had a lot more into mine than you can get a nicely built SV for. Hopefully Yamaha keeps paying for all model year R3's, that'll make it much more affordable as the used/salvage availability grows.

10. Imagine how big the grids would be if they did the same thing with the R6...with at least a year notice.

People (companies) can't expect a lot of club racers to go buy a new 600-1000cc bike and build it from scratch, get it tested/setup, and accumulate data/spares/etc in just a couple of months. That's why every now and then there is a thread asking about OEM contingency (especially back when the Bounty Hunters were big). People want to find out as early as possible so they can decide what bike to buy/build.

But anyway, everyone knows the R6 is the best MW bike available, and has been for years. And the 600 classes are the largest, most popular grids.

Imagine if in the 1st quarter of 2018, they announced that in 2019 there will be an R6 cup that pays $1000/$750/$500 (1st-3rd) in C-SS and C-SB, with the person that scores the most points during the season, and the GNF C-SS winner each getting a $5k bonus.

I would have to think there would be a lot of R6's sold in 2018.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  11. It would be like when Honda announced the $30k bonus to the rider that won the WERA Superbike National
    Championship on a new CBR1000RR (2008 IIRC). There were CBR's everywhere. I'm pretty sure Stokes took home the $30k.

I've always felt that a seasonal bonus benefits WERA more than the 1-off award at the GNF.

That GNF award will ensure the GNF grids are packed and people bring their A-game to the GNF; but it doesn't do much to help grids throughout the season.

How/when the award is given may be up to the OEM, but I'm just saying. That year Honda gave the $30k, it required a National Championship in the National Challenge series...which meant riders had to earn points all season.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet oddly that worked back in the good old days of contingency everyone talks about....

13. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

That's why I decided to stick with my R6 instead of jump on a Triumph this year. I really wanted to build a Triumph and their program is a great program for allowing that at a reasonable cost, but they just didn't leave me enough time to do it. I had my R6 already refreshed and painted ready to rock before they even announced the continuation of their program.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Ive been around long enough to remember those days. Guys like Hunt, Stokes, Lynn, Jensen, etc would show up with multiple bikes because a win in C-SS and A-SS would pay like $3k (each).

That was some great racing. I remember a Roebling National race when Hunt broke the lap record, but didn't even finish on the podium (he was 4th IIRC). I think Jensen finished 9th in that race. Those were some seriously stacked grids.

As far as why the R3 thing isn't going like crazy, I don't know. The only thing I can think of is that it is because they are 300s, and people simply don't want to race little bikes...regardless of how much cheaper it is.

A full grown man doesn't stand much of a chance against kids on a 300. And since it is in SS, the motors can't be built to level the playing field. A 100lb bodyweight deficit is hard to overcome on bikes that only make 40hp.

But that's just a guess.

15. I've always felt award programs built on bikes would be more successful with a year's notice. Helmets, gloves, sure. But a whole bike is different.

Even if someone is sitting there with $20k in their hand, just waiting on which dealership to drive to, it still takes time to strip the bike and build it from scratch, especially if the motor is being built.

I know it is hard for companies to plan/budget a full year in advance, I'm just saying.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why not do a minimum weight rule? Make those little kids haul around 50lbs of ballast and you might have some grownups willing to race them.

Phl218 and badmoon692008 like this.
  17. Not the old guys I know.

Theother46 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They tend not to be the ones chasing money tho.

19. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Winning to the kids is doable.
    The weight difference is the issue however. MA has a weight rule on the KTM class and wouldn't be hard to imply in the R3 cup series if youd like to see a more competitive WERA class.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

SB spec motors won't help, it's hard to outspend race dads (or be motivated about it enough to actually spend the money).