1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video your races....

Discussion in 'General' started by rydfree, Jun 6, 2010.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I didn't have to put tape over the microphone hole. Evidently the camera has a self-modulating audio circuit that auto-adjusts for volume. If the sound is changing dramatically in volume you get some clipping when things suddenly get louder, but other than that it works pretty well.

Here's another video, this time using the key fob camera as a "Rossi style butt cam". Not my butt thank goodness. My stepson Logan used a completely different type of camera on the front, which he zip-tied to his handlebar. I duct taped the key fob camera on the back of his tail section. I synchronized the two video streams (even left both audio streams) and the result is a picture in picture video. I'm going to work on a more polished version of this video, but this one demonstrates what can be done.

CSB Novice Road Atlanta 06/27/2010

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Man, both vids came out great gixxer!

I got my two key fob cams earlier this week and cant wait to try'em out later this month.

Anyone else have any cable issues with their order?
    I noticed one of the usb cables wont register when plugged into my pc, at first, I thought I had a bad cam but when I tried the cam with the other cable it worked fine.

As mentioned a few times already this little thing is impressive, I tried using it indoors with fluorescent lighting and it self adjusted the white balance in a matter of seconds. My only wish is that the makers would consider making a wide angle unit, even if it's just a little bit more than this one so you get a little more than just a butt in the front facing angle.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Can anybody confirm this? I'd like to order an appropriately sized card. Bigger is more expensive so if I don't need it... Thanks.

4. gixxernaut

You really need a 4 gig card, and they're not that expensive. I did a solo 16 at Road Atlanta on Saturday with a 4 gig card in the unit. By the time you turn it on, go do your warm-up, race, cool down and pit-in you're up well over 2 gigs. This thing doesn't compress video at all.

5. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

well I ran a 1 gig and was getting around 17 min. of video. so I would assume a 2 gig would handle the 20 minutes sessions plus sitting in the pit lane for a few.

6. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Just got mine and charged it up. Good stuff!
    Gixxernaut, those vids look great! Can't wait to put it on the bike.

edit: the cables shipped with these are dubious quality. Just use a diff cable (like you did), it'll be fine.

7. tikki50

surprised the front fender did video that well, My concern with the fender is that its moving up and down with the suspension.

8. gixxernaut

The USB cable they package with these units is a POS. Just toss it and save yourself some hassle. Mine was useless as well.

9. gixxernaut

Okay, I take that back. I went back and checked. Sure enough a 23 minute video that included a 6 lap sprint took 1.3 gigs.

The video I was talking about earlier that included an entire Solo 16 was considerably longer than 23 minutes.

10. tikki50

for 3$ you can get a wide angle lens kit called a jelly lens. Takes some mods but you get 40% wider FOV. They also make one a bit better for 10$ its silver and larger but the glass it better. just serach for cell phone wide angle lens.

In order to get a good butt shot you really need the wide angle so you can get the full video of the rider off the bike. I would also help if you could raise the camera about 1-2" off the rear just like the motogp cameras, then you could point it just slightly down and get even more of the rider and still not clip his head. THe wide angle also helps with suspension shots like the forks or swing arm when the camer is mounted under the tail pointed at the rear shock, you can see the whole tire and everything. The Wide angle makes that much of a difference. Im going to rig up a steel lift system for the camera for a butt shot. I ordered a second camera that is permenantly going to be a wide angle camera, I plan on just glueing the wide angle lens to it, its like 30$ so its worth it.

here's the elcheap o jelly lens:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=jelly+lens&_sacat=See-All-Categories

here's the up graded one, its the silver ones:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ce...ly+lens&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

do note that some have different amounts of angle viewing and some are macro so choose carefully. I suggest the .67x

Another route you can go is to use a peephole from a door they are small but you'll get 170 deg viewing angle again, this will really distort the image due to the FOV.

mine cable was fine, but when you buy the micro sd card it should have come with the larger SD card for fitting directly into your computer. But your right I think at this price point, production quality is going to suffer between units.

Nice Picture in picture man, thats sweet. For novice racers to have this its just amazing.

CHARGING NOTE: Pleaser remember to NOT leave these on the usb all night long. The battery can expand and push the case up causing the camera to come loose. It just happened to my brother's. I tend to charge mine for two hours then between each session.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I just made a 13min video and the file size was just under 810MB.

Huh? What bike do you ride that the fender moves up and down?
    I had to go double check on my two bikes just to be sure....mine are fixed to the lower leg so the only movement would be big bumps I suppose.

Thanks for the heads up, I actually looked into it when someone first mentioned it earlier in the thread, they looked too big tho to stick to the fob, will have to just order one and play around with it.

Again, thnx for the heads up, I've been letting it charge overnight wont be doing that no more.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh, one more thing......can you give us a write up on how you succeeded with the time correction. I tried theirs but I cant seem to get it right.

13. gixxernaut

There are several different methods depending on the model of camera you ended up with. They are all described at http://www.chucklohr.com/808/ .

Mine worked on the first try.

They also have a little application someone wrote to create the file for you, if you don't mind downloading and running the program on your PC. It will create the file in all the different formats in case you don't know which type you have. Then you just unplug the USB cable from the device and it will eat the file it wants and leave the rest. You can then delete the rest of the files and you know for sure what kind of camera you have.

14. tikki50

Yes, the wide angles are larger than the camera, you'll need to mod it to some degree for proper fitment.

well yeah any movement vertically should be picked up it may be smooth but I mounted mine on the front cowl under the headlight, so that the suspension can do its job and help smooth the video out. But hey it seems to work fine so.....

For the time date stamp I used the app from the previous link. you have to have the file in the root of the sd card folder. and I tried messing around with the settings but it still shows up. I guess you could clip the video, but for me I could care less as long as the date is right and not 2 years off. Warp speed Scotty!

15. jbeezy

jbeezy Well-Known Member

What kind of software do you use to make the picture in picture?

16. 418

418 Expert #59

George, can you post a link to which one you bought? And which lens?

There seems to be a ton of them out there.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Link worked great thanks.

18. gixxernaut

I bought the camera listed in the OP of this thread. Unfortunately there is no guarantee which actual version of the device you'll get.

I didn't use an extra lens. I'm sure with the Jelly lens I'd get a much better (wider) view.

I used PowerDirector 8 to edit the video. It's a bit of a hassle to learn how to use, and it occasionally crashes. But you can do some decent stuff with it, and it's cheap (can be bought online for around $50 with "immediate" download).

19. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

gixxernaut's videos sold me. I'm in for 2. :beer:

20. 418

418 Expert #59

Same here.:up: