1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veteran's Day

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

My dad was a gunner in B 24 and B 17s
    Went over after D Day, barely made it back to base during Market Garden (tossed out everything but their boots), did his missions, went back to Minneapolis and met my mom.
    Not bad for a boy from the farthest prairie s of MN

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

My dad was also in Operation Market Garden. But he jumped out of airplanes. If I drank, it would have earned me a few free beers when I was in The Netherlands.

Once a Wanker.. and Triple X like this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

In awe of/by those guys.
    I can’t imagine living outside for > 400 days in Northern Europe, much less being able to think, move and ‘fight a good fight’.
    (Salute !)

YamahaRick and FastByKids like this.
  4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I can’t even relate to what the bomber guys had to face. Much respect!

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

upload_2021-11-12_10-4-31.jpeg
    My Dad enlisted in General George Patton’s 8th Armored Infantry Regiment, his freshman year of college. Crewed a tank during Battle of the Bulge, and drove it off an L.S.T, on to the beaches of Normandy. Endured horrible winter conditions in Belgium and France. Liberated prisoners from a sub-camp of Auschwitz, knocking the fences and walls down with their tank.

Wouldn’t talk much about it. Was invited to go back for a reunion on the 50th anniversary of D-Day, and I offered to take he and my Mom. He said “I didn’t want to be there the first time. Why would I go back now?”

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Might have known my grandpa, he followed a very similar path. After seeing the movie as a kid, I asked him if Patton really was an SOB. He said yeah, we all hated him but respected him just the same.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's because of MEN like him that I get a weird feeling inside when people tell me, "Thank you for your service."

I fixed submarines & made an aircraft carrier go putt-putt across the ocean, and spent a whole lot of time drunk off my ass, met a whole lot of awesome people that I'm friends with to this day, and got to play with some of the baddest toys on the planet. Never was I in any mortal danger from anyone but myself.

I feel somehow that I'm stealing the honor that these men earned.