1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vent, and advice request buying new truck...

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, May 25, 2019.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Buying a Colorado. IE!!! do not recommend anything else... que everyone recommending everything else.

All listed prices are acceptable and with so many on the market I was hoping to pit dealers against each other, nope. I wanted the Z71 2.8 turbo diesel. Online listed at 36, but that only if you are a disabled veteran trading in a GM lease with 4 disabled adopted children from a competitor.

Their OTD for that was 42. WTF.

I really wanted the diesel. But it looks like the 3.6 gaser for me. The diesels are far and few in between 1 for every 150 gas.

Used prices are not worth not having the factory bumper to bumper.

Am I just doomed to a gas? I was willing to travel 100 miles for the right truck but wasnt going to until I had a number, and dealerships were stubborn.

Sad.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Saw the new Ranger at the Ford dealership the other day. $44K. It was a nice truck for $28K.

My son is looking at the Transit Connect. He's a big mountain biker and we were at Blue Mountain in PA last weekend; there were at least 10 of them in the lot. It's basically the station wagon for the new generation. They're kind of nice. Loaded out the door just under $30K.

3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I should preface this is a daily driver, and I need the 4 door for the kids. Im really just venting. Ill find the right truck at an agreeable price, no point negotiating memorial day weekend, when they have soo much foot traffic. I know what I need, and bells and whistles are nice, but not needed, so whats left over Ill bid on.

4. Theducatiman

Theducatiman Well-Known Member

If you want call or message me and I can try to help you out. I work at Jon Hall Chevrolet in Daytona Beach FL and we are a high volume in the top ten in the US.
    Brandon 706-415-5324

https://www.jonhallchevrolet.com/MeetOurDepartments

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G2G, Philip Mirgliotta and ducnut like this.
  5. Theducatiman

WE DELIVER TOO!!

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The V6/8-spd (all GM vehicles with 8-spd) has a class-action lawsuit going for it, right now, because of transmission shudder. The Minimax still uses the 6-spd of the previous generation, but, many report constant emission system issues. Dan’s Diesel Service, in Chicago, can do the delete. My buddy is seeing high 30’s on the highway and 255rwhp/475rwtq, with Dan’s setup. IMO, it’s worth whatever it takes to get into the oil burner, from wherever you can work a decent deal.

7. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Save yourself a headache and a empty wallet at trade time. Buy a Tacoma, you will not regret it

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I never care about sale or trade value. How long does it last after I pay it off. That’s the measure of a good vehicle value to me. I don’t buy a vehicle to get rid of it.

Example. My Fusion Hybrid. 147k on the ticker. It’s a 13. Paid it off 4 years ago. July 4th it will be 6 years old. Four more and I don’t give a damn what happens. At 45 mpg average. It’s been one of the best values of my life.

ducnut likes this.
  9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Seems like GMC and Chevy arent budging on their prices at where I am near Philadelphia and Im taking a butt load of repossession reports that are GMCs and Chevys as of the last 2 years or so.

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I have a 2015 Transit Connect Titanium and it’s been amazing. I have 180k mikes on it and it’s been perfect.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. Theducatiman

From what I’ve seen, the problem is people buying above their means and banks are buying deep.

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Agreed. I guess the dealer can re-sell or lease it at a decent rate even though its a repo?

13. Theducatiman

Those go from customer, tow yard, to bank holding area, auction.

ducnut likes this.
  14. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

If you can wait until later in the year, the dealers typically try and move "old" inventory before the next model year arrives. This happens earlier each year it seems.
    Also, always wait until the end of the month, if possible the very last day. Even better, wait until the end of a quarter. If they need to make a bonus, they will make the best deals before the month closes. Feb is a great month to deal typically as it short and winter is usually slow. People are just starting to get the bills from their Christmas shopping spree in and are not looking to make a big purchase.
    I typically by my vehicles the last 3-5 days of the year in December. I do not always have the most choices from inventory, but if you are willing to shop over a large area you can get a great deal on something close to what you want, if you are willing to travel

All of the above is best applied to a typical vehicle not in high demand. The more desirable the vehicle the less this will help, but it still applies to some degree.

Also, you may try searching outside of your area to a place that may have less desire for the diesel engine, and they may make you better deal also. The absolute worst time to buy anything is when it is newly released and hot, but everything fades in time. This is just a truck after all. They will build a tine of them. Not like its a hand built 1 of 20 product.

15. Theducatiman

I disagree, the dealership I work for sells about 320-350 new vehicles a month. It doesn’t matter the day or time etc etc. if you are a breathing soul and actually want to buy something, we will try our hardest to sell it. Even at a loss to get our monthly bonus.

16. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I am sure the super-mega big dealers have different strategies. My family has 3 large dealerships all over 45 years old. I have understood this as a strategy for as long as I can remember.

If you are a sales mgr trying to make your monthly bonus, are you going to sell at cost or even a loss on Monday the 1st?? You don't even know that you are behind in the month until about half way.

Bottom line, shop a lot of dealerships for what you want. The interweb is on your side in buying power/knowledge.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I have a Nissan Frontier for sale.

turner38, zx6rfool and ducnut like this.
  18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I thought you were jus selling a mint Nissan Transmission?

19. ...and in true beeb fashion, the first response is...

...followed by...

:crackup:

Murcielago311, Lavana and R1Racer99 like this.
  20. I can only add a couple of things...

1. Extend your range...a lot.

When I was ready to order the SVR, a 100 mile range only got me 1 dealership. Hell, I traveled almost 800 miles to buy a bike. You need to think more along the lines of 500-600 miles or so. That is nothing but a day trip, and would be worth it to get the exact vehicle you want. Not to mention it brings a lot more dealerships to the negotiating table.

2. You have to decide if you want a great deal, or a rare vehicle. You can't have both.

You can't contact a dealer and be like "I want one of these, and I am only going to pay $x for it...even though there are less than 100 of them in the country". Been there, tried that, it doesn't work. When a vehicle is rare, they don't HAVE to deal with you, because somebody will pay MSRP (or more) for it.

So to answer your question about "am I doomed to gas?"...the answer is, it depends on how important a discount is to you. If you want a rare vehicle, you will have to pay more for it. Or you can pick a regular common vehicle that every dealer has 20 of sitting on the lot, and wheel-n-deal.

You are never doomed to any vehicle, but you might have to spend more to get exactly what you want. Personally, I would rather do that, than spend every day driving something that I didn't really want.

ducnut and skidooboy like this.
  21. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Bwahahahaha, trade ya a pizza for it.