1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two or three MotoGP rounds in the USA

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Just talked to a customer of mine who lives near Flatrock, and is friends with the CEO. He claims they already have a signed contract. He won't bet any money on it though....lol.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Only because you want to hang out downtown.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That Saturday night downtown was pretty cool.

badmoon692008, ducnut and tl1098 like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Is the red garter still there?

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes. They're busy for football season right now!

motion likes this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yep this is what I was getting at.

SteveThompson likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wait.... dudes go there to watch football? That's messed up

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Flatrock. They have a lot of work to do but as the site says "less than a days drive for 75% of the US population". just over 3 hours from ATL, 2 from Nashvegas, 40 minutes from Knoxville, etc.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think they do a good business on days the Colts are playing at home, it's only a couple blocks away. I've only been there once. I was more of a Brad's Gold Club kinda guy:D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way too far from any major metro area(s) to draw spectators.

5axis likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Partly but also because the infrastructure near the track is set up to handle big events. Flatrock has nothing until you get into Knoxville proper which is 20 minutes or more - and horrific traffic between the two on good days will make it longer.

ducnut likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds great but the majority of the population isn't going to drive more than 3 hours - and K-town and Nashville aren't large enough to support a huge spectator event.

14. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Couldn't the same thing be said about Laguna? I've never been there but it seems like it is a ways from any major cities.

Bugslayer likes this.
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did you bang your head on a coffee table as a kid? Monterey county California?
    The track has been there forever, it has hotels and infrastructure there to handle huge events and it’s in a kick ass tourist area.

not just no but fuck no!

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I miss the glory days of the dry lake... 80's & 90's... place was so packed you couldn't move. Downtown was going off, and not with stuntas. It was an annual pilgrimage for me for 20 years or so.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Like I said I've never been there. I just hear people complain about the traffic and hotel costs but it still seems like the place draws big crowds. At least Flat Rock is right on a major interstate.
    I went to the Indy GP 3 times. They definitely know how to put on a big event in that town.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Probably have a Walmart and a McDonalds nearby as well, right? I mean, what else do you need to attract an international crowd of big spenders (the target demographic)?

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

No Buc-ee's?

YamahaRick likes this.
  20. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Crossville has a Buccee's, Walmart, numerous hotel/motels, campgrounds, restaurants. No idea on total rooms available, I actually did some searching last week but couldn't find an answer.

And a medevac helo is based just a few miles from the track, with a few more not all that far away. Flight to a trauma center in Knoxville is the same as a flight from Summit Pt to INOVA Fairfax.

I would totally make the 7-hour drive from NOVA to attend a GP there. I'd bring my enclosed trailer with a bike and camp in my trailer somewhere.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.