1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two or three MotoGP rounds in the USA

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I hear Rossi has the hookup for the good stuff.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It’s way too dangerous. The bikes would be too fast and the tires would come apart in under 5 laps.
    1 US owned but I think they are based out of the UK.
    Not wide enough and the bikes wouldn’t get above forth or maybe fifth. Great track but out dated for motogp bikes.

stk0308 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Flatrock. Nearest city/hotels is Knoxville, just not seeing it work well. Personally really hoping for Indy.

geoduch, SundaySocial and ducnut like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Maybe NCBike, Blackhawk Farms and CMP would be a better fit?
    This whole thing sounds like wishful thinking instead of reality. Indy I could see. Laguna or Barber possibly but both are not great GP tracks. Beyond that you are looking at unfinished tracks, which are always suspect and rarely meet expectations or timelines.

6. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I think it was last year for Laguna, yeah. Also, Sonoma is getting repaved this winter I guess.

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Man, imagine if Barber ever finalized their plans to lengthen.
    Throw some garages together nicely, and pack the place out. Would have to widen the roads too as even at Vintage fest, the overall circle is a traffic jam.

8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The US GP was held at Daytona in 1964 and 1965.

DJ Baker likes this.
  9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Have FOM throw 1/10th the money they did at Vegas to upgrade Road America. Then host F1 and MotoGP. Problem being it is in the sticks and not a "destination", so never going to happen.

mike w likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

And we landed on the moon between ‘69 and ‘72.

03RumbleBee likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Logan Sargeant
    Haas.....but Micheal Andretti/Cadillac Racing has their 200m entry fee but some F1 teams want to triple that. Michael is serious though....who knows if he'll get in.

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I'm just picturing the foreign travelers getting a full taste of 'Murica buy stepping foot into that Bass Pro Shop :D

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

My point was the overwhelming majority of F1 teams and drivers are European. Other than Ferrari, the teams are based in England and most the drivers are from across the pond. F1's recent popularity is due a Netflix show, not drivers or teams being here or speaking English fluently.

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The same producer did a golf version, Full Swing, and made a celebrity out of also ran golfer Joel Dahmen.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If the track doesn't have adequate garages then no WSBK or MotoGP, get it?

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I agree. It suddenly became cool to go to an F1 race, and made it cool to overpay for everything.

17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think that’s the point. The reason the Netflix show works is because they all speak English and speak it pretty well.

18. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't know if it was his point or he got it from someone else about the F1 drivers' vs GP riders' main lingua franca but David Emmett was providing some context on that.

Imagine if Drive To Survive had to subtitle (or worst, dub) the pit conversations. The Broome crowd would vanish...

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to MMP or whatever it's called now? WSBK raced there, it definitely had/has the facilities.

Edit: Utah Motorsports Campus - Damn, just looked at their schedule...They pretty much have an event everyday of the year.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It has the facilities, but it's still a half hour from SLC.
    The new road and freeway interchange make it much easier to access as well.

Also that said, the new Chinese overlords have taken out some of the grandstands and outlying support buildings. And it could use a repave.
    I don't think those new owners care much about major events though.

ducnut, Circacee and Senna like this.