1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying my hand at track days again

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by racer034life, Feb 1, 2011.

1. racer034life

racer034life Well-Known Member

I got the bug again to go back and try road racing. I am looking at motorcycles and seeing what people are racing. I wanted to know what would some of you would race or ride if you where coming back and starting to do track days again.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

SV650

3. Triumph 675.

Race in the Twins classes. :D

4. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

trackdays: it depends, either an RC-51 or a GSXR-750.

racing: SV650.

5. racer034life

I am 6"3 at 220lbs. I could see a gsxr 750 or a Rc51 but the Rc51 would be will out of my price range.

6. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

I've seen examples of track worthy RC51s for under $4K. At your stature that bike would be great. I got a chance to try one last summer, and had a ball (I'm 6'1" and 215).

-Tom

7. Im 6'2", 215-220lbs and I ride a 675 (which is smaller/skinnier than regular I-4 600's).

All of these bikes are damn near the same size. There are only mm differences between a Gixxer 600 and a Gixxer 1000. If you are "too big" for one of them, you will likely be too big for all of them.

8. racer034life

Ok! I was thinking of a few bikes. Like the following. honda 600rr, 04-05 R6 or a 04-05 R1. I have found a few quite cheap or in my price range. I am not trying to break the bank here either.

9. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

I'm in Columbus.. Feel free to PM me for any help.. You can easily get a well prepped bike for under 4K.. We go to a ton of trackdays and have people from Novice up to ama racers that ride with us.. We are a fun group of all ages too. 25 being the youngest and 60 being the oldest. I can help ya out in any way u need!

10. racer034life

Thank you dubguy85! I have found a few bikes around the 3k or under range. Which that is what I am shooting for. plus I am having to sell my boosted Integra for this!

11. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

The only bad thing about RC51's is parts availability. It's not bad, but 600's and SV's would be much easier and cheaper to find replacement parts if you were to take a tumble.

12. racer034life

Yea i use to own a sv650. It was super cheap to find parts, plus I built the whole bike for under 3k and that include aftermarket wheels. man I miss that bike!

13. racer034life

also the rc is way out of my price range....

14. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

im 6'3 185 and will be racing my sv this year Ive ssen bigger then me on an sv

15. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

RC51s are not easy bikes to ride... an Aprilia RSV1000 is an easier bike to ride... as if not more reliable and can be had for the same money as an RC51.

16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

send a pm to GypsyRacing
    he's got a real nice mille that he's selling for cheap.

if you want to go real cheap, you can get a race ready F3 with suspension for $1,500-$2,500 depending how it's set up.

best bang for the buck imo would be a race ready 03/04 R6. still tons of parts around.

17. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

PM sent

Thanks for the heads up KMC.

18. racer034life

yea I am selling my track car for this project so money wise its all what some one wants to pay for my civic coupe. But In term's of bike I am a big fan of 03-04 R6's 04-05 R1's and 03 600rr. I will say the rsv1000 would be nice but I wouldn't know the first place to get spare parts. Also sv650's are nice and I use to own one but for the money people want for them and there low on power compared to other bikes. I can't see myself paying more for a sv650 when I could by something with power..

19. PIRANESI

PIRANESI Well-Known Member

Trackday vs Race

gsxr750 for Trackdays
    Sv650 for Racing

Im 6'2 180

I used to run an RC51. Never had trouble finding parts. You can find track ready rc's for $3000

If you try to run the sv at a trackday you will be frustrated.

20. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

Why??? I toting w/ the idea... W/ the plans of eventually racing it???