1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying my hand at track days again

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by racer034life, Feb 1, 2011.

1. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs. and have NEVER felt that the SV was to small for me. I think the twins classes are by far the most fun and best bang for the buck at the club level. A reminder to new riders/racers, this is club racing not pro racing. A few pounds either way is probably not gonna make much difference imo......at least I hope it doesn't! :D

2. Because track days tend to have many straightaway heros and you might get aggravated at some point.

With that being said, i have seen SV's at track days many times.

If you want one, get it. Just focus on your own riding/improvement while understanding that you wont be blasted on the straightaways like that once you start racing it.

3. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

If you have never raced before, you should start on a smaller bike. It will make you faster and you will have more fun.

Even trackdays can be frustrating with too much bike and not enough skill.

Read this thread on the Nesba board:

Trent's Journal

Dude starts doing trackdays with a fancy Ducati, which he crashes repeatedly. After a while he sort of figures something out, and he gets faster, so he decides to buy a GSXR-1000, which he crashed repeatedly, f-ing himself up bad.

He's a smart guy and a good rider. He is just overmatched.

It is my opinoin that if he had started on an SV or maybe a 600, he would have been able to ride more, and spend less time on crutches, and less money on fixing bikes.

Racing is a whole different animal than trackdays - you will be matched with similar sized bikes. If you have an SV, you will race primarliy against other SVs. And you will get your ass kicked until you improve your skills. But the safety margin is a little larger on an SV. You have to be really dumb to high side one of those.

Low siding is another story.

4. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

Yeah, I like the SV's! They make me feel fast for that brief moment that I take my 185hp of straightaway fury past them! Then somebody goes and puts a damn turn at the end of it! :eek:
    To be honest, I really don't like the straightaways that much. I oughta think about getting an SV:confused:

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Had to change your thread title. The missing "n" was driving me nuts. :)

6. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

You're OCD? Never would have guessed it. :up: Me too! At least that's what people say, I don't really think so.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  7. racer034life

racer034life Well-Known Member

Thank you for placing the N in my title.

Also I think am going to go after a 600. R6 or gsxr 600. If I tried my hand at 1000 it would be more of a rsv mille. I can see how you could get in over your head with a 1000. But why won't people just take it slow.

8. A 600 should be fine.

I know everyone says to start out on an SV and for good reason. But it isn't a necessity as long as you show some maturity. A 600 can bite you in the ass also, but there is more room for error because they don't make their power until higher in the rev range.

To be honest, I started on a Gixxer 600. I have never even sat on an SV. :) I am not saying that is the best method, but it is doable.

9. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

yep, I would go with a 600 as well even if you get one a just couple of years older, it's less forgiving than the 1000 and will be easier to help you get back in action.

10. racer034life

Plus I have found a few R6's and 600rr's super cheap. Like 1500 to 2k cheap.

what would you all think if someone tried to start off on a Rc51 or a RSV mille

11. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

My first track dedicated bike was an RC51. Just keep a smooth right wrist coming out of the corners and you'll do fine. I never went down on mine.

12. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of racing, I would not reccomend and RC or Mille to start. They are heavy and underpowered compared to similar bikes.

If Mongo would ever allow an RC in Vintage, well, then that would be worth talking about.

Also, the RC is very expensive to get more power out of.

Both are great trackday bikes. Twins make all the right noises!

13. racer034life

So I have looked into rc51's and way out of my game plan. Im looking at 600rr's, R6's and a few 1000's. I will just be doing some track days with whatever bike I do buy. Thank you all for the help. Hope too see some of you this year at some track days and say thank you!

14. srastoder

srastoder Member

bike

I got a 03 RSV, and the parts for it are more expensive then a Ducati Monster I used to have. About the only place to get the parts is AF1 racing or E-bay. Great bike though, I love it, just don't dump it:eek:. In April I will do my first track day and I am little nervous about taking it to the track, but hell, that's what it's for.

15. thump thump

thump thump Active Member

Subscribed

16. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Come on man, you have got to tell them how much fun a built TL is :P

17. thump thump

thump thump Active Member

:clap:

18. racer034life

sorry everyone I haven't been on here much! in the middle of moving but good new is I sold my track car....yeaaaa! so now I have a little more money to play with. So far my choice's are between a mille R, gsxr 1000, or a zx10