1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Daytona 765 Moto2 Limited Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Shocker, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

130hp for $17K?

don't the $10K ZX6R's make 130hp?

I better be able to take a nap around Grattan for $17,000...

ducnut and Senna like this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This bike was never really about max power. The kit it comes with is pretty darn nice compared to the ZX, too.

I'm more bummed that they aren't going to produce a regular Daytona 765R - this is it.

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I understand its not about power.. However, for the extra $7,000 this thing better have some damn good suspension/brake/electronic bits.. Like, at least $7,000 worth. lol

4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I mean, it does. Ohlins all around. The latest calipers from Brembo, quickshift up/down, programmable ride modes, chassis that’s modded due to input they received while testing the Moto2 engine, carbon fiber bodywork. Only disappointment is no CF or forged aluminum wheels.

I don’t really find it all that good looking and am certainly not in the market for it, but I think you get some good stuff with it.

5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Cool bike but they could give us a competent middle weight for something different than another R6. Call it a 675 RRR rrrrrr

From the last version all they really needed was.
    modern electronics. Check
    Adjustable triples or add a good bit of trail in the stock ones. ??? (That feathery light street handling is not always the best for track work.)

Big bore motor for street fun . easy to use power . Check.

6. FWIW, my 675R made 128hp with nothing but a full exhaust, BMC filter, and tune for U4. I’m sure this 765 motor is tuned very conservatively and is capable of much more.

But you are also getting race worthy Öhlins front and rear, up/down Quickshifter, and kickass Brembo brakes. Plus a TFT dash and Traction Control.

They didn’t just cram a 765 motor from an ST into an old 675R chassis. The frame and swingarm are new (lighter), motor is new/different, the suspension and brakes are new (higher spec), and it has an electronics package.

Is it worth $17k? That’s something the individual has to decide. But this bike can’t be compared to a run-of-the-mill ZX6R.

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Luv me some Triumph, but $17 is too close to 200hp$$$$

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I just wish they gave it more of a new look. i was expecting NOT to see a 675 in carbon, but rather some version of a Kalex/FTR/Suter type look. not gonna say its not cool though.

Gorilla George, 418 and Senna like this.
  9. I agree with that.

I am also disappointed in the lack of Forged Aluminum wheels.

But aside from that, I think it’s badass.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm sure it sounds/rides like an incredible machine.

But with 765 units and looks that only marginally distance it from a model that went extinct a few years ago (and whose design barely changed for the decade it existed), I'll echo the sentiment here.

Just doesn't feel very special.

Bruce and ducnut like this.
  11. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I don't get the purpose of it. Trackday bike?

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

How'd they manage 90 extra cc and no more power than the outgoing 675R? Definitely a cool machine, but I'm finding it hard to see the 'specialness' for the money. It all seems like stuff the average joe could build in his garage for similar money.

ducnut and Sweatypants like this.
  13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i'd rather get an R1 or zx10r for $17k

14. You are right, it doesn’t make sense...which means it has a ton of potential.

Triumph has stated that motor is good for even a lot more power than the Moto2 bikes put out...and I’m sure it’s been detuned even further from there.

Having built many new bikes from scratch, you couldn’t build the same bike for the same money.

Take a new MW bike and bring it to the same power specs, and you’ve nearly spent $17k already.

Take a GSXR750 and give it full Öhlins forks and an Öhlins TTX shock, and you’ve spent $17k.

In both cases, even though you’ve spent the same money, you still won’t have the Brembo Stylema braking system with Brembo MC, SS brake lines, up/down Quickshifter, Traction Control, or carbon fiber bodywork.

Not to mention those other bikes will be a lot heavier. The Triumphs are incredibly light (I’ve built/raced 2 of them).

So even if we leave the “specialness” out of the equation, just looking at the package alone, it is a good deal.

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. nlzmo400r

Looking back at the 675R MSRP of $14k, you’re right, you couldn’t build this for the same money. I’d forgotten how expensive the 675R had gotten.

That being said, I’ll play devil’s advocate regarding the engine. I think the power level is probably accurately quoted in that the 765 has a longer stroke and therefore not designed for peak power in the way the 675 Daytona engine was. I bet the 765 makes 15% more torque over most of the rev range as you would expect, but with reduced rev ceiling will produce similar peak figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. I’m sure the power is accurately quoted. My point is that it is capable of a lot more.

That isn’t even a full exhaust, it’s just a can.

17. nlzmo400r

What’s ‘a lot’ though? I can’t believe Triumph is leaving 15-20hp by way of exhaust. If you’re willing to change hard parts (camshafts, valves etc) every production engine is capable of ‘a lot’ more in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

The whole marketing use of "Moto2 tm" is a bit ridiculous.

nlzmo400r likes this.
  19. I never mentioned anything about going into the internals.

The Moto2 bikes are at 138-140hp. According to Triumph, they could have given them 15hp more, but chose not to for the sake of durability. One of the tests they have to pass is the “double lifespan” test by completing 2,500 laps at race pace. They easily did it.

That number is very believable because I’ve seen a bored and stroked (around 670cc) R6 motor make 160hp.

If I had to guess, I’d say with nothing but an exhaust, filter, and tune for race fuel you could get 140hp out of it, maybe more depending on fuel type.

You continue to argue trying to somehow make your first point correct. No matter how you look at it, that is a lot of bike for the money.

Sure, you can go spend half as much and get a 2011 ZX10 and have more HP, but that isn’t the point. For what it would take to build a similar bike, that is a helluva deal.

20. Why?

It uses the Moto2 motor, but Triumph doesn’t own the Moto2 logo. Hence the “Moto2 tm”