1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph 765?

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

You could relatively easily turn a StreetTriple RS 765 into a faired version. However, the 765RS is rated at less power than the Daytona 675R. The compression ratio is very similar, so I imagine it's mostly a camshaft and tuning difference. So to really make a 765RS a worth while race machine OVER the 675R, you'd need all the aero/ergonomic/suspension bits as well as some daytona camshafts and tuning.

Not sure it's really worth it as MV has basically already done that for you with the F3 800

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I've recently owned both and I can't say I agree with that, mine dyno'd out at:

2018 765RS - 118.7hp and 55.9ft lbs
    2015 675R - 113.6hp and 49.4ft lbs (with Hindle full system and tune it was 121.8hp and 51ft lbs)

4. nlzmo400r

So near as makes no difference the same output. I can't imagine that difference in worth choosing it over the 675, or worth swapping an entire 765 drivetrain into a 675R chassis. If Triumph made a proper supersport variant of the 765 with higher lift cams, maybe spun it a bit faster and got closer to the 130whp range out of the box, then I could see the benefit.

5. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Agreed!

If Triumph does make the 765 in a Daytona variant, I'd fully expect it to make 126-128hp and 56-60ft lbs in stock trim quite easily - and I think they'd do quite well with sales for a light bike, some electronics, up/down shifter, and that much power.

6. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

The 675 motors were nearly identical between the Striple and Daytona. The only differences I know of were cams, raised red-line, and the ECU. Theoretically, you could drop the daytona cams into a striple motor, attach the daytona ECU, and end up with a daytona motor.

7. The Beer Hunter

I keep saying I'll go put money down on a 765 if it can make 130whp from the factory. Based on what the Moto2 motors are rumored to be making, 130 at the wheel should be really easy.

Edit: If you extrapolate the performance difference from the 675 Daytona-Striple to the 765RS, you end with a estimated whp for the daytona of around 150.

8. nlzmo400r

The 675 street triple and daytona actually had quite different engines, especially from 2009+. The daytona got forged higher compression pistons, the street triple got cast stuff. Also the cylinder head was physically different with different exhaust port shape (exhaust systems weren't interchangeable).

The street triple has been using what is basically a first gen 675 Daytona engine (2006-2008) until the 765 came out in 2017(?). The 765 is essentially a 2013+ daytona 675 with longer stroke and different camshafts etc.

But you are definitely correct about the camshafts being interchangeable. Done lots of those. Worthwhile upgrade. I would IMAGINE the 765 cylinder head will happily accept the longer duration 675 camshafts and make more power.

The Beer Hunter likes this.
  9. The Beer Hunter

10. six6two

six6two AWD

I NEED A ROBBY BOBBY REVIEW!!!!!!

11. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

when i had my Speed Triple, there was a dude down south making cams and an airbox that no joke gave like 25-30whp over a stock motor with an ECU flash and exhaust. they dumb down their naked versions of stuff pretty severely. i ended up getting rid of the bike before considering that purchase, but still... i always assumed a street triple was the same way compared to a Daytona in those respects.

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

My 2014 ST3 has about 20 less than my old 2015 Daytona.
    Cams, airbox, second set of injectors, ecu, harness.
    I keep looking for a 14+ 675r at salvage

14. nlzmo400r

That's mostly true. The old Daytona 955i was actually rated at 150hp (20ish more than the Speed 1050) and the only substantial difference between the engines was camshafts. They fit, you really should slot the gears to adjust camshaft timing and that's it. I don't doubt the airbox and things could be improved, but the camshafts were the big differentiater.

15. nlzmo400r

You don't need a parts donor bike. The airbox and injectors are negligible. ECU and harness aren't necessary for power. Get the camshafts, from any daytona and you'd enjoy an easy 10-15whp gain.

16. nlzmo400r

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Donor bike get’s me the boingers also. So why not.....

18. nlzmo400r

Good point. If it's cheap enough, it'd make an incredible street triple