1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

My 2005 was like that and I hated it, that’s when I bought my 2011 Chevy 2500 diesel. That trucks interior worked better than my denali. Denalis heated seats work on the hvac system where the Chevy was electric. Nothing like having useless heated seats when your ass is frozen.

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I usually tow ~59mph, because the rpm’s are already up, the fuel mileage is bad enough, and I don’t want to kill my truck. The dreaded, LS oiling issues took out this first engine at 99K miles, even with religious oil and filter changes. I thought being easy on it would last me the rest of my life with no issues.

Totally agree with your second thought. The newer 1/2T’s have so much more ceiling built into their capabilities. I was laying under a 1/2T Ram and marveling at how much heavier everything is built, compared to my older Silverado.

4L60E is what you had, same as me. Terrible transmission, as the world knows. But, it goes down the road better than the 3-spds before it.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I truly hope your 8-spd doesn’t develop the shuddering issues so many are dealing with. It pisses me off GM has made however many millions of these transmissions, over however many years, and they’re just now half-ass doing something about it. Though, I don’t believe just changing the fluid to a different type is the answer. They’ve already tried a second type that didn’t work. Now, they’re on a third type. It’s totally unfair and irresponsible to the customer who paid the hard-earned money for the vehicle, in good faith there’s nothing wrong with them.

BTW, I like the GMC frontend better than the Chevy.

4. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I like these guys, and thought this is an interesting review... of course they’re not towing through hills etc... but still worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. DWhyte91

Ya I hope not too. Hopefully they fixed whatever it was for the 2019’s.

I thought the Chevy front end looked like it was wearing a mid evil type helmet.

ducnut likes this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I would wonder if the F250 didn't re-gen during that test. Though I think we have reached a point where the MPG difference between gas and diesel is minimal given a load that the gasser can handle, and it's more about the towing experience itself. The new heavy duties are so large, I don't think we will ever see them getting the MPG they used to. And tuning and deleting them results in more power, but little fuel economy gains now.

ducnut, NemesisR6 and maslov like this.
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I picked up 2mpg on my 2011

ducnut likes this.
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Impossible to tell unless they monitored it, especially on that short 66 mile loop. IIRC, the powerstroke needs the following parameters to start an active regen cycle: 8.38gpl of soot, 100% on DPF load or 500 miles, whichever comes first.

The Ford will do the regen every 500 miles regardless, even if they were working the motor hard enough to get the EGT up high enough (~1,100 degrees) to passively regen. Doesn't seem like they would on that flat terrain, even with a 9K lb trailer.

If it DID happen to start a regen on that loop, it's still impossible to tell if it kicked in and finished the full cycle within those 66 miles or not. The regen takes about 20 minutes/miles, so it could have finished a complete cycle or just tried to start a few miles from the finish line.

9. shakazulu12

Seems like the auto regen every 500 miles is a smart idea. Rather than waiting until everything is full, I would imagine that allows it to do more passive regens vs a full one, and maybe less failures long term?

Note, TFL did a tow test a couple years ago with a 12,500 pound trailer that had a bigger frontal area and got 10 MPG, vs the one above where they got way less with much less weight and a smaller trailer. Same test and trailer with a Ram 2500 was 10.8 something.

10. DWhyte91

So I’ve been going over the stats on my trailer and a smaller trailers. It seems I’ll be saving roughly 450-500lbs by switching from my 7x18 with a 3’ V to a 7x12 with a 2’ V. That’s not much to really worry about considering I’m not towing anywhere near capacity. Will the shorter trailer be easier to tow because of aerodynamics or should I just keep my trailer and not bother with the hassle of selling it? I don’t need the big trailer.

11. Nobody has ever wished they had a smaller trailer.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The length of the trailer is negligible on aero, height and width are the factors to be considered.

13. shakazulu12

Frontal surface area is where most of the stress comes that the truck feels. If the 7x18 is a dual axle, it may even feel better from behind the wheel, assuming the 12 footer is a single.

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would keep what I had. Can’t see how it would be worth the change.

15. DWhyte91

It would be dual
    I don’t really need that much trailer for a scooter and one bike. We were using it to live in when I was racing nationals so the space for the family to be comfortable was necessary. Now for the couple times a year I’ll use it, I’ll probably be the only one sleeping in it or maybe with my son, so it isn’t really necessary. It was already roomy before.

16. DWhyte91

I was hoping I could fit the trailer with my truck and my wife’s car in the driveway but I may just store it close to home at a friends and then the day before I need to leave, bring it home to load up. Wife can park next door for a night.

ducnut likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Height and width being equal, a longer trailer is more aero.
    A shorter trailer is more difficult to maneuver in reverse.
    You already own it. If it's not an upgrade you're looking for, keep what you have...it's a near ideal size. When, if ever, you look for an upgrade, just DIY with the 18'.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Well if that is the case I can see that. You might find someone willing to make a trade for a larger trailer...

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m on my second 12’ and am needing at least a 16’, now. Wish I would’ve bought more trailer.

Keep what you got. You don’t know what the future will bring.

fastfreddie likes this.
  20. DWhyte91

I guess I’ll have to tow it and see. I know it’s not going to be the same as with my diesel but I’m trying to make the towing experience as best as possible. A 7x12 would fit my needs just fine and it wouldn’t cost me anything to switch. Even if I went 7x12 aluminum the weight difference is only ~200lbs or less with the equivalent steel version so not worth the extra $$. I’d loose my fold out bed but that’s not a deal breaker. The current trailer doesn’t really work for trailer park camping because it doesn’t have a toilet and we don’t really car for that type of “camping”. The wife and I prefer to back country camp and portage, not listen to jimmys mom telling him to put the Nintendo away because it’s dinner time.

The rear end is pretty soft on the 1/2t so I may add a leaf. With an empty truck/trailer it sits level. It rides like a Cadillac when not towing and it’s a nice change from the 3/4t but a little firmer ride wouldn’t be a bad thing.

After putting a few miles on the new truck my fears of regretting my decision are gone. The new truck is nicer inside and substantially bigger. For my occasional driver it makes much more sense and it’s more comfortable. My wife having her own car again is awesome sauce too. I get in my truck and everything is as it was left when I got out last time.

ducnut likes this.