1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total eclipse - April 8, 2024

Discussion in 'General' started by mpusch, Mar 21, 2024.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Been tracking this one for years, as it's crossing directly over where I am. Shutting down the office for most of the day and plan to watch with the kiddos.

Looks like it'll be another 20 years from now until there's another eclipse in the continental US.

27 and BigBird like this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I'm in the cleveland area and everyone is freaking out about it...all the schools are closed, all the officials are telling people to be prepared to be stuck in traffic for 4-6 hours...and it will be cloudy and rainy that day hahahahaha

Once a Wanker.., Waterboy and mpusch like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I was planning to drive down to the indy area to see it...but alas I will be on hilton head for work that week.... :(

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_20240408_pg01.html

We got a front-row seat here in DFW. Historically, it's about 50-50 regarding cloud cover.

The missus and I have traveled thousands of miles to see eclipses in the past. The 2017 was absolutely AMAZING a few miles east of Glendo Lake WY. Perfect skies.

It'll be neat to see one from the front yard no matter the weather.

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm traveling to Indy for this, so I will take your seat. I have a hotel Sunday night near the airport, and plan to drive a bit south and park on the shoulder of the most remote road I can find. I hope Mother Nature cooperates.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We live in a great spot to view and we're heading to Vegas/Death Valley that week:D I've seen a few in my life and my feeling is big deal. If you want to see something spectacular, go deep out to sea on a moonless night during a meteor shower; that's an epic sight. Eclipse = big yawn.

Once a Wanker.. and Waterboy like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It’s the last full solar eclipse visible in the US for 20 years…

It’s kinda a big deal (at least for me and my wee twerps).

Sabre699, Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  8. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

We are heading down towards Indy as well. Plan on doing the same. Trying to figure out where to go that is out in the middle of nowhere.

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

For me, hopefully it will be a spot on the side of a rural road where the farmer doesn't shoot me if/when I need to pee on his crops.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I just noticed that 35 motorsports is right on the centerline... I think I have a shock due for service...

11. rd400racer

Go to a big ocean, rent a boat and go 20 miles off shore during a meteor shower. It lasts all night and they happen a couple times a year. Every year. But yes, you need to see at least one eclipse in your life. Old bastards like you md me have already seen a couple but I get it for the kids. Then take them out on that boat:D

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Kids get plenty of boat time when we head east. Got more photos and vids than I can shake a stick at of them out on BIL’s lobster boat, hauling traps, banding lobsters, youngest one even had a blast last summer baiting the traps.

But yes, a still, clear night and meteor shower is a sight to behold. Northern lights are mind blowing, too.

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Hoping the Cleveland weather holds. Just have to figure out which side of 480 you need to be on. Probably watch it from work on one of the exhaust stack towers.
    I can see the schools not wanting to be responsible for some stupid kid(s) trying to stare at the eclipse since it looked like the transition point was around when school was going to be let out. Could still do a half day if that made any sense.
    Think when I was a kid during an eclipse, they had the blinds down or put blinds on all the windows to remove any temptation during class.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When I was a kid they showed you how to make the boxes and taught you how dangerous staring at the sun was...

TLR67, beac83, 969 and 4 others like this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

IMS is having a big viewing party if you want to mix racing with it… a buddy has a suite there and he’s opening it up for this too.

16. rd400racer

Yep, they handed out sheets of some kind of photographic film paper when I was kid in the 60's. Basically like real dark sunglasses. Everybody thinks an eclipse is like the scene in Apocalypto:D

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

we drove to KY for the last one n 2017 and got stuck in traffic, in a 40’ diesel pusher, barely made it… we’d been making a big tadoo out of it as the last one I’d seen I was about their age… my kids were 5 and 7… I bought them new auto darkening welding helmets and we made cool stickers for them and did them all up… it was cool…

few issues… the helmets wouldn’t change dark as there was no flash… luckily I took an old solid glass one so they’re sharing… they’re not impressed and bored waiting the 10 min for the totality when my son saw a grasshopper and gave chase to it… right when he found it, it got dark and he yelled “daddy!! Turn the sun back on!!!” I giggled and snatched him up with both of them on my lap watching through the same helmet I watched one through as a kid… really cool memories, for me at least :D

Once a Wanker.. and A. Barrister like this.
  18. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

It's an issue that's been brought up by the local ranchers out here.

19. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I watched the 2017 eclipse from up on the Cherohala with a group of friends from work. We used it as an excuse to get some good riding in with the show being a bonus. This time I will be watching from Waynesfield raceway in Ohio https://www.solareclipsecenterline....nqHi0YPheC6FwZGJwRv3zahpAla0-rf6EorO50fAIIcCY . Its right on the centerline and can accommodate my wheelchair. plus they have food and plumbing available.

I will be bringing my 5 yr old grandniece along and plan to make a pinhole camera for her like the one I made at school back around 1979 in the fourth grade (probably the same eclipse as Mongo mentioned)

20. Phl218

Phl218 .