1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'General' started by Jaketheone46, Aug 1, 2019.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:No shit! I don't even use warmers for track days with race rubber.

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, but, you get a free lap to get things warmed up. This is street racing we’re talking about, which is far too serious for free laps. Gotta’ go!

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Tail of The Dragon TT overall winner, 3x years running

[​IMG]

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Not even sure how you came to that conclusion...o_O

5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Try rereading his post...and then reread mine. He says his buddies came from slicks and said the TD tire was amazing...

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I push pretty hard on the street to each thier own I guess. The roads I ride on are out in the middle of no where. We all cant afford 2 track days a month and racing. Need to stay fresh somewhere.

motoracer1100 and Bruce like this.
  7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, I've only used dot takeoffs on the street for the last ten years but decided to try out a street tire for once to see how they compare. I've only put about 50 miles on a set of Corsa Rosso 2's so I haven't been able to tell much yet but they better work well for costing almost $400.

For those that have used 200/60, how much tire are you using compared to a 180 or 190/55? I'm used to seeing rear tires worn to the edge but on my first ride on the 200/60 I'm nowhere near the edge of the tire. Not that it really matters, I'm just wondering if I'm using way less lean angle now that I'm old and slow or if the profile of the tire has something to do with it.

8. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I don’t limit myself at all deals gap is hit maybe once per trip. That’s just the area I stay in. That puts me in the whole TN,NC, and Georgia area. There is no better I’ve found. I always hit 116 too on my way. The whole area is great. You gotta stay away from the dragon on the weekends especially.

9. Ive tan Slicks on the street on multiple bikes (takeoffs). Hell, I ran Slicks on the RSV4 on the street for 2 years. And by “Slicks”, I don’t mean plural...I mean the same damn set of tires.

There is no telling how many heat cycles those motherfuckers had, it was in the hundreds.

Even caught myself in a rain storm a couple of times.

No, you won’t get Slicks up to their optimal temp range on the street. BUT, you aren’t requiring/expecting optimal grip out of them either.

If you have a good feel for the tires, good throttle control, and don’t ride like an asshat...it can easily be done.

I’m not advocating it by any means. I am just responding to the “Slicks on the street???....YOU'LL DIE!!1!!!1!1!” type shit that usually comes in this threads.

10. Jaketheone46

I will say the profile of the fronts have changed being I’m not hitting the very edge on the streets. It’s like you would have to put the peg on the ground while standing on the fron wheel on the brakes to hit the front edge. Lol I even see lots of track pics with fronts all chewed up not getting to the edge. The rear is also much farther these days as well but I have found after a good click of twistes coming out hard on the throttle gets me to the edge but I’m on a 190/55 to so a 200 I have no idea.

11. Jaketheone46

I’ll hit the tighter stuff pretty hard myself, as for the faster open roads I keep it a bit on the safe side which can still be pretty darn crazy. I definitely can’t afford the track. I want to retire one day. I’m hoping by 55yrs old. Lol then I’ll be exploring every road there is with a nice RV pulling a trailer of bikes.

track wagon likes this.
  12. Jaketheone46

I can’t figure out what pirelli tire is there most aggressive street track tire besides the spv2, TD. I’m referring to the diablo corsa, Diablo rosso corsa, Diablo rosso 2, Diablo rosso corsa 2, then 3 and so on. I have no idea what’s what. I think what I want most is the TD.

13. Jaketheone46

With the choices in sizes I may be forced to move to a 200/55 that or go to a 180/60 but they say it’s for a 5.5” wheel. If I go from a 190/55 to a 200/55 what will I need to change?? Also will I gain diameter and width? Or just width?? I’m normally running 190/55 pirelli

14. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

The Corsa SP which comes as OEM on the Panigale V4 and the RSV4 is Pirelli's top street tire and the Rosso Corsa II is the next one down. I have used both on my RSV4 and can tell little difference between them and I have gone fast enough on both of them to not only be in prison but have a cell under the prison so I think that either one will work but the Corsa II will save you a lot of money over the SP.

15. Dude, you are WAY overthinking this. You aren’t utilizing anywhere near the maximum grip of the tires on the street. Nor are you using all of the available contact patch, regardless of what the sides of your tires look like.

I can assure you, no matter how hot you think you are into a corner on the street, there are thousands of guys taking corners much hotter, on lesser tires, with no problems.

Hell, I’ve had buddies coaching at track days in Intermediate and Advanced, on Sport-Touring tires.

If you have a 5.5” rim, go with the 180/60.
    If you have a 6” rim, go with the 200/55 (or 60).

I’d be willing to bet you could put any of them on, and you won’t notice a difference.

Just pick which ones fit your bike, make sure their are properly inflated, and ride the fucking thing.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I ran our Dunlop GPA take offs for years. They hated cold weather but were fine as long as they weren’t super cold.
    When I finally ran out of them I went to Michelin’s. Loved the Power 3 profile and grip the first half of its life, they heat cycled though and lost tons of grip before they were gone. Have Power RS’s on the bike now, they have 3800 miles on them and still have as much traction as when they were spooned on. Unless the road you are on turns to Dirt ten miles in... Then it comes a thunderstorm. The dimples ain’t worth a damn on hardpack mud.
    I don’t really like the profile as much as the earlier tires but the rubber is definitely better, of course my bike is bigger and heavier so on most bikes the heavier feel won’t be as noticeable.
    Never liked any of the Pirelli Street tires I tried but did run some of the race DOT tires on the street years ago and they were pretty okay.

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Here's the break down from super grippy to grippy
    Diablo Superbike (slicks)
    Diablo Supercorsa SC (race compound)
    Diablo Supercorsa TD (track day)
    Diablo Supercorsa SP (street/track day)
    Diablo Rosso Corsa II (street/track day )
    Diablo Rosso III (street)
    Angel GT II (sport touring)

TurboBlew, Jon Wilkens and BigBird like this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And the new for 2019 Supercorsa TD tires coming in these sizes
    110/70R17
    120/70R17
    140/70R17
    160/60R17
    180/55R17
    180/60R17
    200/55R17
    And here's tech data for them

Attached Files:

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Glad Pirelli gave the 650 riders some love with a 160/60, which Dunlop ignored with the Q4

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think it's the Ron Haslam school that runs Dunlop RoadSmarts on their school bikes, which isn't exactly the most speed-oriented tire.

Gorilla George likes this.