1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire warmers on a timer in a cold garage?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 2, 2019.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have good rubber on 3 of my race bikes in a detached garage that is heated with a wood burning stove when i'm in it. Otherwise, no heat.

It's getting down to single digits and high temps won't be above freezing for 3-4 days starting Sunday night.

I've had dual temp warmers on the tires (but haven't turned them on) since getting back from Jennings a few wks ago.

Question is, if i set the warmers to 'LOW' and put them on a timer that turns them on for 30 mins, off for 2 hrs, on for 30 mins, and so on, is that bad for the tires? Basically putting them through 10 mild heat cycles in a day. If the tires get up to 100 F, i wouldn't think they would drop below 50F in 90 mins once the timer turned off.

Also, if the temps get down to 5 F outside, my garage will stay 20-25 F with no heat on.

I have a torpedo/kerosene heater i could throw on a timer. Better double check my insurance. :)

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wouldn’t cycle them but that’s just me. :)

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You can't bring the wheels inside? Are the bikes up on stands or parked on the ground?

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Small space heater in the garage to keep it at 50ish degrees?

5. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Hopeless Never-was.

A heater putting out any kind of ozone is gonna do more damage than a freeze cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

A work light under your belly pan will be good for both tires and water.... keep it on all night with no worries.

7. gapman789

Bikes are on stands.....It's a PITA to move shit around to remove all the rims/tires. I just did all this when i went to Jennings. Dummy tires/rims on the racebikes before i went, then change when at track, and now i just don't want to do all that again. I went back to work this week after being laid off and i'm being a bit f'n lazy right now. :) I"m about out of room in my backroom/storage room as it is.

I could keep a fire going in the stove virtually 24/7. It's almost 70 in there now, 38 outside.

I also thought about buying 2 radiant/oil filled standup type heaters. I think they are relatively safe.

I wonder if Broome has a room like this?

garage bikes 2019 5.JPG

8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

No.

Nowhere near enough bottled water.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I would throw a tarp or moving blanket over everything an put a 60w incandescent bulb under the cover to keep the chill away. Probably bring it up to double digits under the tarp, and no nasty ozone like a heater.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you can I'd just keep the woodstove going.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If the room is really that cold, I'd doubt that putting your warmers on low is going to get the rubber anywhere near 100F.

You could use a thermostat that only turns the warmers on when the room gets below 40F, and then just run timers on the warmers so they cycle on/off every 30 minutes or something like that. I had to rig up things like that all the time when I used to grow "vegetables" inside.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’d just put a small radiant heater in there and leave it on the next few days if anything. No way would I want to heat cycle the tires that many times. Would let them get cold before I did that.

G 97 likes this.
  13. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Several blankets. Wrap'em up in a few. They'll be alright.

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Hope you drained the water out of the radiators and blocks

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title I assumed you planned on putting the warmers on a timer so they'd be ready for you to RIDE... Actually not as nutty as setting them to cycle on and off. This is a total non-issue. How have you ridden/raced all these years and just now come up with this goofy idea?

16. gapman789

I figured if they got up to 80-90 on low with warmers for 30 mins..... then off for 1.5 hrs with tire temp dropping to 50-ish, then back to 80-90, etc....Having a heat cycle of only 30 degrees doesn't seem to be so crazy and would be ok. Hell, that's the difference between your bike sitting in the sun vs the shade at the track. It's not like I'd be going from 180 (off track) to say 30-40 F (my garage) and then back up to 180 every 2 hrs. That would be total nonsense. But i'll scrap the tire warmer idea nonetheless.

Yesterday/last night, had fire going. Loaded the stove up last night. This morning 530 am, 13 outside, garage 45.

No woodburner today. Sun on the metal roof all day and the garage stayed in the mid 40's. Outside temp 20 all day.

Soooo for tonight, went and bought 2 oil/radiant upright heaters, and a timer for tonight.. Filled up the torpedo heater and put it on the timer. On for 30 mins, off for 2 hrs cycle. The 2 radiant heaters i will keep on all night. 1 heater between the GSXR's with a moving blanket over top, the other heater kinda in the middle of the garage and Broomes' RSV4 is in direct fire of the torpedo heater. Gonna be single digits tonight.

Should be able to maintain 45-50....if all goes well. :)

17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I bought a small 1500 watt ceramic space heater from amazon and I leave it plugged in and in between my bikes. It's been single digits here the past few days and has not been above freezing. It seems to do the job. I did mine more because I didn't drain the water but also tire conservation. I would keep a bottle of water in there also.

18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

If I were you I would clean ur garage.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tires don't just cold crack because of low ambient temps, it takes a impact while cold to start the damage that you may see right away or later. So in most instances if you leave them alone they will be fine.

G2G and cav115 like this.
  20. gapman789

That pic is a backroom on the house. Garage ain't that bad. I have 10 bikes and a RZR in a 24x36. Tire changer, toolboxes, counters with full cabinets, tall metal storage cabinets, compressors, wood stack, wood stove, spare engines, frames, 30 takeoffs, etc.....

My enclosed trailer is full of lawn equipment, pressure washer, inverter generators, etc...I have to pull that stuff out to load the trailer with the bikes. Then put the lawn stuff in the garage when im out of town.

I need a 40 x 80 obviously.

garage 2019.JPG garage 2019 3.JPG garage 2019 2.JPG

TLR67 likes this.