1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire warmers on a timer in a cold garage?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 2, 2019.

1. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

You guys don't think at some point before you purchase new tires that they don't get below freezing in a ware house some where, or at the UPS ?

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I remember someone buying a Pallet of NTec Dunlops.. They got to his house and half of them were cracked... Their Container took the Greenland Route from Europe and it was not controlled temp wise...

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Nooooo....lol....that was several yrs ago and i was just trying to stay warm while living in my garage during the winter when im off work for 3+months.

4. gapman789

Sure, but obviously it's in the best interest of the tire company to not have cold tire cracking issues. I doubt they really want to replace tires that costs them money and upset their customers at the same time. So it only makes sense that they take all precautions within reason to ensure 'non-freezing' shipping and storage'.
    Who knows, maybe Dunlop HQ in Buffalo has a 2 story bonfire going 24/7 in the warehouse. :D

I conceded your point in post 28:

"Not saying that any of the tires i got weren't below freezing at some point, but i (and the vendor) try to do whatever possible to prevent below freezing tire shipping."

5. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I raced on a tire that sat in my loft for 2 years. It gets below freezing for most of the winter or damn near it. There were no visible signs of anything wrong with it (had been mounted on a rim the entire time). The tire was fine and my balls grew two sizes that day.

Banditracer likes this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ok here we go, you ever see the sticker on the tread that talks about proper handling in cold conditions? The tire company puts it there for racers/consumers and vendors/distributors. The jest of it says cold is not good for some tires AND especially when improperly handled. And are you ready for this? From a technical standpoint cold cracking is NOT a warrantable issue with the product. Why, because it's simply shipping damage and not a defect of the product.

Before I retired I might see 5 or 6 tires a year cold cracked and that was it! So don't sweat it and if it happens, just contact your vendor and they will help you. Finally if you don't bang/bounce/slam your tires around when cold you won't have problems. Ok now, let the haters/tire experts contradict everything I just posted:D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. gapman789

Pffft.... thats spot on, except brubaker did send me new tires when i had crackage issues.

Brubaker got to yhe point to where he would flat out not ship if it was cold in nashville or if it was cold at the destination.

I think he had a full time weather logistics kinda guy there the past few years. :)

I was never concerned with tires cracking while on stands in sub-freezing temps. Un 25+ yrs, ive never gone on track with tires that were subject to below freezing temps.....to the best of my knowledge anyway.

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

FYI Race tire service aka Bru was a tire distributor/vendor.

9. gapman789

uh yeah....known him for as long as i can remember. Kinda still pissed when he wouldn't flip or put on some non-dunlop tires for me at Daytona in 2010. He actually made somewhat of a scene..."Where's your tire vendor?...You're using tires that have no trackside support?....What a joke....GTFO."

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That would piss me off too.

After we moved to Dunlop for AMA, we went to a track day event and the Pirelli vendor CT Racing, was very willing to help mount tires for us. I did pay to mount them. He put them right in rotation, with his other jobs..class act.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

No way. White rims.

12. gapman789

I know i lnow. i have black rims. The new tires will be on black rims.