1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinitus

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Sep 27, 2020.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I blame 100K+ motorcycle miles without ear plugs. I finally started wearing ear plugs while riding around 1998 or so.

Constant. About 1100-1200 Hz, both ears, about NC30-34 level. At least the two ears are in phase most of the time. It only annoys me when I get the beat frequency between the two ears.

Most of the time I can ignore it, but its always there.

Metalhead likes this.
  2. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

i was fine till you had to bring this up. now i cant get to go away again, damn it.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

anybody tried the 50 finger snaps technique?

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I saw part of that video and tried it, but it didn't work for me. I thought I would watch the entire video another time, to see if I did something wrong, and try it again.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I tried it, and it seemed to make a marginal difference for a few minutes. Then again, I didn't do the snap, I just tapped.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'm wondering what would happen if i did that twice a day for a week or 2.

starting the experiment today.

7. jimne245

jimne245 Well-Known Member

Have had it for a long time; lots of loud fun stuff in the USMC for 21 years, and race bikes since I was a kid amongst other things.....

Nothing to do about it, however I have noticed to be careful about what meds to take. For instance, Vitamin M or Tylenol is ok, though Aleve will set it off something fierce.

Guinness seems to dull it down a bit though...

Metalhead likes this.
  8. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I worked in Mr. Gower's apothecary mixing tinctures and ungulates. That didn't help...

9. jfcasley

jfcasley Well-Known Member

I just tried it and it seemed to make a difference for a few seconds

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I only get it on rare occasions, usually with dehydration. The hands over ears thump on the base of the skull thing usually fixes it.

I think trying to maintain an exceptional level of hydration for a couple weeks would be worth a shot.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You should have let the old sot poison half the town.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Seriously, I avoid reading about it or researching it, because that just reminds me it's there, and there's nothing I can do about it!

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I have some degree of damage from concerts, car stereos, bikes, etc., but the ringing is pretty mild. Like others have mentioned, if I turn up the car radio when a good song comes on, my brain makes me dial it back down in short order.

15. testa_rossa

testa_rossa I don’t go here.

The snap technique can sometimes improve if you do some neck stretches; put one hand over your head and gently pull your head towards your shoulder. Relax your shoulder while you do it. Do it each side for a few seconds.

When you’re doing the snap technique, press in and up to the crown of your head with your pinky fingers and down towards the curve of your skull then up “underneath” it with your thumbs so you are pressing on the occipital ridge. Don’t put too much pressure with the pad of your thumb, use even pressure through the length of it. A lot of strain can be put in these areas due to ear strain, stress, gravity, etc. You can also gently massage the area with the heel of your palm. Press up gently and Work up and down and side to side. U don’t need much pressure.

I am a massage therapist and many of my clients have relief when we focus on work around their sacrum, glutes, and lower back areas. Tinnitus can be caused by strain on your spine too! Chiropractors can help relieve some of the tension if you hold a lot, but it’s recommended to follow up with light exercise or massage. I broke my sacrum so I get adjusted about twice a month. I always suggest working on exercises that strengthen your lower back and erector muscles.

Yoga helps a lot. Finding a sports massage therapist in your area is a great idea.

16. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

"Sitting on a park bench..."

motoracer1100 likes this.
  17. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

“I am a massage therapist and many of my clients have relief when we focus on work around their sacrum, glutes, and lower back areas.”

Am I the only one who thought they saw “scrotum” instead of “sacrum” when first reading that?

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yes. Pervert. :Poke:

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Wow, I am not alone! The driving with windows down, note being able to hear a discussion with background noise and the at night trying to sleep thing. Ive been careful with using hearing protection for the last 20 or so years(now 52) but I guess that was not soon enough. I've got ringing in both ears, left seems worse. I have not had my hearing tested for quite some time.

20. testa_rossa

testa_rossa I don’t go here.

Nice.