1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a career change

Discussion in 'General' started by Jugglenutz, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Damn...........All the junks coming out in this thread......WOW......:D

2. HNIC

HNIC Well-Known Member

My bad. A poor attempt at humour for DTalbott & the Dream Team.:)

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yep. It was poor. :D

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

But most definitley humor.:D

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yup, the cream rises to the top.

Leaving just the sediment...

6. HNIC

HNIC Well-Known Member

I'm glad I scratched out 'comedian' from my resume.

7. 9mil

9mil Yea, that's right

Couldn't pass it up - Did you even give RE a chance? - The only reason I ask is, if you were working 2 jobs, you didn't. If you half ass any career -especially a 100% commission one- you will get just that, half ass results. If you are that quick to give up on that career how long will you last in med. school....much less, the next 30 years of your "career".
    Either you are a real estate broker or an answer service- pick one and actually work at it. Don't be so short sighted.
    Just from one CRE Broker to another.

Oh- and everyone gets that "good" feeling when they think about helping someone else - it isnt just you.

Phil Fortune

8. wgd23

wgd23 Well-Known Member

Lever:
    I'm an emergency physician at the busiest trauma center in boston, faculty at boston university school of medicine. I've been on the admissions comittee at the u. of pittsburgh school of medicine, the medical college of pennsylvania emergency medicine residency, was formerly the medical director of hahnemann University Hospital University Medevac helicopter service. I went to medical school at age 34, after 2 interesting prior careers. I post the little pedigree because you just seem to be the kind of guy who might pay a little better attention to "authority".

1. give up on the "only want to go to the best". i've worked with total idiots from harvard, brilliant clinicians from supposedly mediocre schools. so, dont aspire to the bottom, but don't limit yourself by applying to 3-4 schools unless you want to whine about answering phones for the next 20 yrs. there are about 115 medical schools in the us. all will provide an adequate education. any in the (subjective) top 20 are great. Be prepared to move far away from home to get what you want.

2. forget about doing"er" work at the track...i've popped a few shoulders in, advised friends to go to the ed or not. The race directors of the "other org" that i race with know me, send people to me who have minor injuries or questions...as for on track assistAnce, the medics don't need my help. period. (not completely true, but pretty much).

3. If you really want to do this, do something to show commitment--volunteer in the ed,or any other part of the hospital. volunteer in the community-boy scouts, sunday school, coaching, homeless shelters, ANYTHING that shows real commitment to caring, not just making bucks, will help your application (yes, of course, it is a little bit of a game).

4. I'd be happy to talk to you about this in person..I'll be at most
    Brand ex summit and VIR events this year, and probably a few weras (wera dosn't have f40 lights). black/silver SV, #482. or let me know if you want to email directly.

Bill Davenport
    Lumina Racing

9. HNIC

HNIC Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that there are some that still take this thread seriously.

10. wgd23

wgd23 Well-Known Member

nah, i don't take it seriously--just love what i do so much that i'll tkae the bait from any fool talking about med school and offer up my 2 cents.....

11. wgd23

wgd23 Well-Known Member

.......even if their P&R postings make this blue stater very afraid......

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

ROTFL:D
    Good thread. Thank you all.

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Sounds like an episode of "Law and Order - SVU" in the making.

But I figure you'd be in a clown suit even if you practiced geriatrics.

:p

14. HNIC

HNIC Well-Known Member

I think he's got the clown part down to a science. Now we gotta get his PHD from Disney Tech..

15. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

greenie, thought of becoming a nurse?

16. HNIC

HNIC Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's had enough of playing doctor that's for sure.....

17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Lever: This guy posted the same advice that I was going to give you in Paragraph #1. I can speak only from the my experience with law school, but i think the reasoning applies to almost any type of professional school. Indeed, many very competent MDs have gone to med school in Grenada or Mexico, etc.

Jeff: follow this guy's advice if you are serious. Volunteer at the local ER or nursing home. And by all means take him up on his offer to actualy talk with you about this.

And what was you undergrad avg and MCAT percentile ranking again?

18. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Thanks bill...i'd love to talk to you more about this in email...its very encouraging to know you got into it at 34 (gives me a ten year window :D)

I'll pm you my email address...there are a lot of questions i wanted to ask that would just get missed in the clutter of this thread and prolong the bs

Anyone else with viable experience....i'd love to talk to you more about it, please shoot me a PM...

19. wgd23

wgd23 Well-Known Member

lever- your box is full..

20. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

sorry...clean :up: