1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This old House: Bathtub drain replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Dec 17, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

So I was wiring up some recessed lights in the basement, eventually be another thread on here probably, but noticed the drain was green. Looks like it was/is leaking. How can I replace the easiest to way.

I currently can just cut the sheetrock out since I know where the p-trap is.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Looks like a galvanized riser. Having said that, unless you're extremely handy, don't go fuckin with it. If its leaking, get yourself a plumber.

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

we got a plumber coming out tomorrow for our 1932 house bath sink(already tried ACE snake)...those calcium deposits are hard as a rock

BigBird likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Burn it down

noles19, Cannoli, auminer and 2 others like this.
  5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

So once you break the seal between the shower pan (under the tile) and the drain, you'll have a difficult time getting it resealed.

If it's a suitably old NJ house, the shower was built with a lead sheet pan and the drain was soldered to the pan.
    Messing with the drain probably means re-doing the shower pan as well.
    That drain won't come out without taking some of the pan and tile with it.

I'd check if it is currently leaking before touching it, and if it is currently leaking, I'd try a re-caulk (looks like it's been done before) to hold it over until you tear out the shower and re-do the bath.

TurboBlew, omatter34 and BigBird like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

We call it a toilet...

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Drywall repairs will be the least of your worries if you dig into that. Like Beac said, see if it’s wet at all after running hot water down it for 5-10 minutes. If not, close it up and plan on a bathroom remodel in your future. If yes, plan on that remodel sooner than later or losing use of that shower.

BigBird likes this.
  8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

One of these with a 3in. bit should do it. Oh, and caulk.....Lots of caulk..... Seriously, don't mess with if possible. core drill.jpg

beac83, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Flex-seal

Even holds a screen door as paddle boat tight

TurboBlew and badmoon692008 like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

seriously though, does that stuff work?

and I gather I should leave it alone til the ceiling collapses if it's leaking. It's the Mrs. shower, so I don't want to start a project and have it in disarray, because then well, yeah...

11. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

I fixed some leaking chimney flashing with flex seal until I could get the roof replaced. It worked surprisingly well. Has to be applied to a dry surface, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

John

BigBird likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Meant it as a joke but some peeps had really good interims results with it

BigBird likes this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I get the strange feeling your house is like this:

[​IMG]

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Looks like that sculpture of the dude crawling out of that Pipe at Barber is living in there.....

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

it does feel like it may get like that. Let's hope not. Honestly, it's probably time for a total redo.

16. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Old house problems. I have one built in 1918.

I have one leaking somewhere in the shower pan in an upstairs bathroom (remodeled approx. 20 year ago.) At the cheap end of the spectrum, I'll have to demo the shower tile etc and repair. I'll probably take the entire room down to the studs and start over though. Just as soon as I'm done with the other upstairs bathroom which was just demo'd to the studs and being rebuilt.

BigBird likes this.
  17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Been there, done that.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Tear it and the shit tile out and build a proper shower. Solid surfaces...minimal joints to be caulked and maintained. Mostly don't put fucking tile and grout back into a shower...

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's not Steeltoe's spider