1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This old House: Bathtub drain replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Dec 17, 2018.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

turns out we need a bill burr by putting someone(something) through that F*&%$@# WALL! collapsed pipe or something. $550 quote to fix...using an access panel to save $ i guess

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Bright side it'll be fixed. But yeah these things add up quick

Sent from my smatrfone

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I heard someone testify at a State license meeting for construction that they watched every episode of This Old House as a testimony to their construction experience. I let out a snort. The guys dead pan delivery was hilarious. Of course the Board is a stereotypical group of stuffy old cogers so the joke was not well received... the silence that fell upon the room was hilarious.

busa99 likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Love it!

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I once drove Bob Vila to Logan and by the end of the trip, I was a qualified home contractor.
    Osmosis.

BigBird likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you also grow a beard during the drive?

Phl218 likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've had one for most of my adult life, except for when I worked for Dennys.
    No beards in the kitchen.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Old Bob loved marketing total crapola. Like the Bob Villa Drain Cleaner Kit... that cost my old boss $45. :)

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

so yeah. the silcone worked for a while but it's leaking again in the upstairs bathroom, will remodel later. In the meantime, the downstairs bathroom I decided to do an impromptu remodel. There is newspaper stuffed in from 1964. The article talks about communism, what is old is new.

So question, the shower pan is granite, can I just jackhammer it? and same thing with this shower drain like the other bathroom. I was thinking Schluter showerpan and extend the base to the wall, like i used in the other bathroom, but how would I do the drain, or at least during the demo of the pan, since this one seems soldered in? I will call a plumber for the drain install though

52528822537_08fc0200b2_c.jpg 52529834693_f89d8d70be_c.jpg 52529767715_c3b47a899a_c.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Joy.

That pan should be sitting on the wood floor/underfloor. I'd disconnect the drain from the underside (with a sawzall if necessary) and then break that pan up with a hammer drill and chisel tip. Be gentle and don't punch through the wood floor if at all possible.

Good on you. At this point in my life, I'd likely call a contractor for that job.

BigBird likes this.
  11. beac83

I don't even want to know how well that 4" to 2" drain connection works. (eek!)

Nice stud, too. :D

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

the drain is not easily accessible since it's the basement

yeah I would call someone, but most contractors suck and are expensive. so might as well give it a go...also I'm not that smart, so i do these dumb things for fun. i'm a definite masochist

beac83 likes this.
  13. beac83

Its unlikely to be able to be fully fixed from the top side without major ripping out of the floor/underfloor. Plan on cutting out a hole in the underside ceiling to re-plumb the drain as part of this job. It will be less hassle to repair plaster/drywall than replace the floor which will be necessary if you try to do it from the top side.

BigBird likes this.
  14. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I missed it at first Beac but I think Bird meant the shower drain is in the basement floor when he said it wasn't easily accessible from beneath. I suspect this means you will need to break out what is there and then depending on how that goes "fix" the drain and possible the floor(concrete?) during the new install.

BigBird likes this.
  15. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

With my experience repairing plumbing in older homes I can save you time, money and hassle by following my old house plumbing program. I go to the outside street or septic connection, Start there and work backwards because that is where I end up anyway!!

Free advice because of the holidays and all that feel good stuff

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  16. beac83

Yep, it was early this morning and I missed that this is in the basement floor. Sorry. I needed another cup of caffeine.

That is going to be painful. Break up as little of the floor as possible to do the drain replace/repair. Patch the floor then build the shower pan on top of that.

BigBird likes this.
  17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I'd take a chisel and crack around the drain first then smack the shit out of the pan with a two pound hammer. It'll break and crack fairly easy

BigBird likes this.