1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The unofficial official "SMMFH" thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pickled egg, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why do you have to label it gay? Do you label hetero relationships as such to kids?

You're the one arguing that you have to introduce sex into the discussion at the same time you're saying you don't. How in the world does that make sense? Putting either label on a relationship IS making the description sexual.

2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Bert and Ernie were gay?? :eek:

What was Oscar The Grouch?? Sometimes he played with his worm in the alley ;)

3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

In children's terms - it is making it a romantic relationship, not a sexual one. If Sesame Street wanted to start referring to Bert and Ernie as a gay couple (they don't and won't) it would be to highlight the romantic commitment they made to each other, not what type of sex they have.

Why would defining the commitment they have to each other focus solely on the physical when the physical wouldn't in any way be the immediate focus in explaining a romantic commitment between committed heterosexuals.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I always thought they were more like foster brothers. Sure never thought they were over 18, more likely thought they were my age when I watched the show.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Do you make sure to refer to male/female couples as hetero when discussing them with children. Simple yes or no.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't even think they're that anymore, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TSWebster likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why is it necessary to define their commitment to each other as anything more than good friends, just as a child would relate to another child? The need to define them is adults transferring their desires onto children.

8. Chino52405

No

I would identify them as a couple, same as I would male/male or female/female. It defines the commitment of the two people for social context.

Do you believe that the same "why'd you have to make them gay" feeling would exist if the writer chose to say Bert and Ernie are a couple?

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I think the adults are putting way too much thought into this.

Bert and Ernie are best friends. The live together, which to a young kid is the greatest thing- to share everything with your best friend.

No young kid should know about or care about the sex lives of these characters.

In real life, most families have gay branches. Some families include them, some families exclude them, and the kids learn from those examples.

Life goes on.

Tempest in a teapot, etc. etc. etc.

What is this trying to distract you from?

Are Bert and Ernie positive role models? Sure they are. Do they help a little kid understand why Uncle Bill lives with Uncle Bob? Of course it does.

Does whether Bert & Ernie are a romantic couple or not matter? No. They are committed to each other as is obvious from the show. They model the frustrations of living with roommates of any type, and the process of resolving conflict. It's all a good exposure for kids.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again I have no idea what you are arguing - you are saying the same damn thing Acree is - except when you get bitchy because you think somehow gay doesn't have anything to do with sex, which it of course absolutely does.

If you don't label a hetero couple then don't label a gay couple. It's not that difficult.

And no, of course it wouldn't be the same calling them a couple as calling them a gay couple - when you're talking to children....

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Loading the pickup and then the rv :D

beac83 likes this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've always preferred Bert and Ernie as gangsta rappers, not gay lovers.

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My gay friends literally have 10 to 20 times the amount of sex my straight friends do, especially the young males and the chickenhawks. The old queens and lesbians, not so much.
    And fwiw I ain’t saying nothing negative. I’m actually jealous. :)

Straight males might be more promiscuous but with less opportunity for random encounters. However, I don’t recall many straight glory holes or bath houses in my 49 years. Random anonymous sex was normal in Dallas in places like the trestle, flag poll hill, or Reverchon Park. There was no straight equivalent.

Beac, would you agree that the young gay male “culture” has high promiscuity and random partnering? I witnessed it for many years but it could have been an anomaly.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If single males are generally more promiscuous than single females, it seems pretty straightforward that single males having sex with single males will find more partners than those who seek single females. Doesn't mean that heterosexual ones aren't trying just as hard.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I assure you, I tried with at least as much diligence as my brother. His success rate was far higher...dammit.

Papa said hard.

16. Chino52405

While I'm not active in the gay dating scene, it sure looks different from the outside than it used to. Around here it seems to have almost moved so far into the main stream to be boring. Brunch spots now occupy most of the buildings that used to be 5am clubs.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

David has been gone for 7 years and was out of the club scene a good bit longer than that. From what I've been told the club scene is different for hetero and homo has changed in the last 20 years quite drastically as more people meet through apps and other means.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd wager that single females are far more promiscuous than single males. Why? Because they can be. Being horny and being promiscuous are not the same thing. 1 is wanting it, the other is actually acting on it.

Any random horny guy doesn't have droves of women throwing themselves at him. Flip the script and I think you can figure that out on your own. Women are the gatekeepers of sex....men are the gatekeepers of commitment.

Now if you are talking gay men, then that's obviously a different story. Homosexual marriages are supposedly some of the most stable relationships around, it's theorized that is because many (most) are rather open to action on the side. Lesbian couples on the other hand are some of the most tumultuous, with more rates of domestic abuse and divorce than all others.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

This is the gheyist discussion ever.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And just why is it you have droves of gay friends?