1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RidersDiscount.com YZF-R1 Superbike

Discussion in 'General' started by Riders Discount, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Beautiful work!

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The kit harness re-located the ECU from the front of the bike, to the back …
    [​IMG]

… and moves the rectifier to the left side of the engine.
    [​IMG]

In the interest of expediency, all cables that may have to be changed in a hurry are clearly labeled.
    [​IMG]

Titanium bolts are used to secure the Renthal Road Race clip-ons to the fork tubes. In fact, we used titanium throughout to take weight off the bike. The switch closest to the grip is a two-way map switch, the one closer to the fork is a pit lane speed limiter. The latter is moved away from the grip so it is not accidentally tripped by the rider whilst trying to switch maps.
    [​IMG]

The swingarm’s axle will have its unnecessary threads removed on a lathe. It is secured by a titanium nut. At left, a custom-machined shift rod. Those that were provided with the Dynojet quick shifter proved to be incompatible for our needs.
    [​IMG]

3. Riders Discount

Despite the extra layer of metal on top of the R1’s upper frame, the OEM tank fit without issue, but we did have to remove parts of the airbox’s front mount bracket to shimmy between the seams of the welds.
    [​IMG]

Speaking of weight savings, Seamus removed the endurance headlamp leads from the kit harness.
    [​IMG]

Not a single titanium bolt in this photo. That’s going to change.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kit aluminum tank.
    [​IMG]

The rear end of the tank will become part of the seat.
    [​IMG]

Here, you can see some work has already been started to make way for fuel lines and the airbox. A mallet will be employed to finish the job and make it fit on the bike.
    [​IMG]

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What was/is the timeline on this project? And if it's our business, cost?

Very nice, BTW

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'm curious to know how much actual weight is saved by the Ti fasteners.

6. Riders Discount

We'll post new photos as it comes together.

It's difficult enough to get one ...

The bike should be done soon. We're still waiting on a few things, and Seamus is incredibly picky about what he wants on the bike. In a nutshell, it's taken half a year to get everything in order and a week to build the bike to the point you see here. As for cost, we've decided we don't want to know.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Yes....want one?

8. Chip

Chip Registered

Neat bike by the way...

9. random hero

random hero Banned

Just curious why Dynojet stuff over Bazzaz?

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm guessing he's wondering what happens if this radiator gets wadded at the track, besides alot of crying. lol.

11. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that the only thing DJ is the QS sensor since they have the kit harness & ECU.

12. Riders Discount

We only used the Dynojet QS sensor. We used the YEC ECU to handle the rest.

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

this is absolutely b.e.a.uuuutiful. thanks for the info and pics. :beer:

14. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

Sweet Bike!

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

so whos gonna be racing this and in what class?

16. Riders Discount

Class: American Superbike
    Rider: TBD

17. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Beautiful build guys.. really nice!

I'm kinda curious to know the cost to build a real SB these days too. In talking with Scott Jensen at CVR last weekend, I remember him saying the Ohlins SB forks alone were something like $15k to start.

18. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Correct. Although I'm sure that riders far more competent than I will race the beauty, but that giant rad looks like it'll be damaged in even a slow speed low side. I used more than a few rads in my day. Don't ask.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Uber.

Mega.

Sweetness!!!! :up:

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Curious how comes you guys decided to go with and R1 since Taylor's on Mladin's old bike. Figured you guys would have alot of data to work with using that as a blueprint.