1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The ohio drivers sux thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What you're missing is it's usually not 1-2 mph. It's 5-10 or more that he loses if he drops his speed to match the other truck. There is no happy medium like in a car. Happened in the rv to me all the time when I pulled the trailer, run up on someone doing just 2mph slower, back out of it, takes truck out of powerband and you wind up going even slower than the one you ran up on by 5 or even 10+mph, then takes forever to get back to where you were initially. It's especially bad on hills even now, I can roll 75 up most anything but if I have to let off even slightly it'll drop to 55 where it'll downshift and then I'm stuck there the rest of the way to the top. So I lost 20mph by slowing for someone going just 5mph slower.

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Spot-on!

Brian_J likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't imagine having to deal with the normal stuff AND have my top speed limited :eek:

ducnut likes this.
  4. joec

joec brace yourself

I'm guessing since there is a damaged vehicle in some cases probably 2, it's accidents.. The report I saw did specifically say average accident claims for baltimore are every 4 years. Which is the shortest et in the country. I sort of mis spoke. There report said Baltimore drivers are the worst of any city. It's possible Ohio takes the state championship.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/tra...-cities-are-worst-report-says/?outputType=amp

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Trucks have 18 gears. I’m sure they can downshift one and stay in powerband.

You rip people all the time about “ you’re comparing apples to oranges” then compare your barely able to cruise RV to a semi tractor designed to do nothing but haul on the highway.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No they can't and you obviously don't know Evelynes rv.... :crackup:

rv2.jpg

stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW I've done 90+ a couple of times...

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got that and I won’t bother explaining what sort of spec tractor would have that transmission, but, it’s very rare. Most tractors are 9- or 10-spd.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

18 speeds..18 wheels...whats the difference when smack talking. :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If that were the discussion we were having, you’d have a point. But, in this case ... I’m not missing anything of the sort. What you’re missing is that passing another trucker at 1-2 mph faster is what the discussion was, and what I’ve referenced all along.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again you're not reading what I'm writing. The choice is to pass at 1-2 mph faster or lose momentum.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I believe, he’s talking about the flatland scenarios where a Swift will be sitting in the hammer lane, passing a JB Hunt at .04mph faster than the other.

Funkm05 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is a whole different thing altogether and both Swift and Hunt trucks should be hit with rocket launchers :D

stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And fwiw I cuss at that kind of thing all the damn time. Granted last night it was the Cali/Nevada cars doing it.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sorry dude, you obviously ain't spent a bunch of time in SC. Here's our drivers license test.....

DMV lady: Can you breathe air?
    Test taker: I think.
    DMV lady: CONGRATULATIONS! You passed.

See?

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Ya gotta see too?

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

See ... we agree. :D

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Please realize that the goal is to keep rpm's in the 1200 to 1600 range, and that the lower the gear, the lower the top speed.

Once I start losing speed on any hill, I have no way to get that speed back until I get to the downhill side or the flat.

19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

My best friend has a 2015 Pete 389 with the Paccar engine and 18 spd transmission.

My other very good friend has drive for 3 different trucking companies and every single time his Pete or Volvo or whatever had a 13 or 18 speed transmissions...

So yea, when i say 18 speeds, i do mean 18 speeds...

So 20 cars being held up for 10 minute doing 20 mph less than before definitively outweighs the fact your dipshit dispatchers are trying to run a razor thin clock schedule. Not our problem.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those 20 cars can make up the time easily. Trucks are still less an issue on every single trip I make than cars doing the same shit and way more stupid stuff.

stk0308, dtalbott and Brian_J like this.