1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Man crush :crackup:

2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Because of some potential F1 film being made, which if I recall correctly, is like the 7th or 8th film that was proposed so far in the last two decades that never saw the screen.

They can get back to us when a film is actually released........

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Where is the Lance Stroll hate? I don't blame him for using daddys money to go F1 racing as I would likely try to do the same thing if I had the talent level needed to even qualify but the guy seems like a total twatwaffle. Fucking Canadians...:D

ungwaha likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's quite an understatement. By the end of that season, he seemed like a much more solid prospect than Gasly who backslid into the championship running on fumes. Giovinazzi exposed Gasly's mental softness so badly that he ended up in Japan trying to salvage his career.

The last time I was that wrong on someone's future prospects, it was… Morbidelli.
    Grosjean was part of the broadcast team on French TV. He felt that the blame should be shared equally. Lance didn't really move that much and Fernando delayed his move just a little too much.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I know that Grosjean understands what happened better than me so he is most likely correct. That being said, Lance Stroll seems like a miserable little cunt and Lawrence Stroll by all accounts is a total cunt so we should use this opportunity to Stroll bash.:D

ungwaha, Yzasserina and rd400racer like this.
  6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Serious question: Is it ever ok to move in response to somebody else's move? In other words, is blocking ok? Talking about car racing (where there are mirrors involved) only.

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

They're allowed one move to "defend".

8. tiggen

Ok, but not really the question.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Based on what?
    Honestly, I don't even know. I have never really understood what does and doesn't fall under the position defense rules, which seem to be applied in completely random and arbitrary ways.

10. tiggen

My question wasn't really about the rules of any given series. It was more philosophical/theoretical.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Okay. I 100% disagree with moving when being overtaken by a faster car in a straight line. Defensive lines into corners are fair game.

mitch100 and DrA5 like this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Isn't being from Quebec enough?:D

This is just my impression/personal opinion of him from videos and pictures I have seen but IMO he has a "punch me" face and comes across as too arrogant for the amount of skill he possesses.

That and I am a little bit jealous that my dad does not have so much money that he can pay me $10 Million a year to pretend that my hobby is my job. :crackup:

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I got nothing. :D
    (Is he really, though? He speaks French like it's a second language. Nico Rosberg speaks better French than him)
    We get a lot of TV coverage over here from FP1 to the post-race show and the French journalists talk to him every weekend because they love to interview people who can speak French on camera. He is always available, polite, humble, and even when he seems down or upset, stays in answers all the questions.

As far as skills are concerned, he has put a F1 car on pole position and on a podium in separate races. I have seen a lot of "legitimate" F1 drivers in close to 40 years who have never done either of these things. But hey, you're in good company with your countryman (and French TV commentator) Jacques Villeneuve. :D
    This right here is what motivates almost everyone who has been criticizing him since he got to F1. :crackup:

Rene Bucek likes this.
  14. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Stroll is a punk, but there should not be any more discussions on him "not having enough talent to be there." Yes, having money allowed him to go up the ladder easier than others, but unless your teammate is decimating you in qualifying, you are dead last every session and every race, you are F1 worthy. Stroll has been outclassing a four time WC on enough occasions for me to say he has the talent. Talent and personality are two different sides of a coin (see- Hamilton).

Razr likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Cool for Seb. That was quite the battle.

17. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

Agreed. He's not finishing last and he's out qualified and finished in front of Vettle (former multi-time world champion) enough times to indicate that he's got what it takes to be in F1. Hell, didn't he score a pole position a few years ago in the wet?

As for being a pud, dunno. Considering that he's filthy rich I think he's actually pretty decent. Always seems polite in interviews and the such. Hard to know what these people are really like in person.

DrA5 and mike w like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

"The United States Grand Prix was the MOST ATTENDED race of the season
    440,000 fans descended on Austin over the weekend"

all the comments are like Americans are fake fans, only there to be seen, and don't know F1. They should stick to Netflix

dobr24 likes this.
  19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Vettel. Vettel. Mother of God people, Vettel.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

140k on race day. It was packed.

dobr24 likes this.