1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Bottas on pole, I wonder if he'll lead the first lap?

2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Warning- get off my lawn post.
    Issue- complexity. Sensors, engine modes, MGU-H, MGU-K, "Default 3-0, set hike". "Daniel, you have a 5 second penalty." "OK, I'll drive faster" And he does. Driving just to manage tires and save the engine.
    There is something to be said for actual racing start to finish. Normally aspirated V8/V10/V12 with balance of performance regs.

Issue- 5 safety car laps to get a car off the track right by a gap in the fence. It was nice when we just had a localized yellow to get a car off the track. But because of the Bianchi incident, any time a tractor or marshalls go on track, out comes the safety car that stays out three laps longer than it took to remove the car for bunching up. I get it because of Bianchi, but its a bit ridiculous as to how long it takes now.

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The other part of the delay was getting the field reformed, and getting the lappers around and out of the way.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

They’re constantly talking about nascaring it up to bring the excitement back to racing and safety cars are an easy way to do that...the big talking point this weekend was look how exciting qualifying was without FP1 and 2 so let’s purposely eliminate them from future races.

5. DrA5

At that point with a handful of laps, the field doesn't need to cycle all the way around and regroup. Let them go past the pace car, get 30 seconds on HAM and go green. If the front of the pack catches them in 5 laps, that is pretty sad. If there is more left to the race, so be it. Let them work their way through the field again. I am also starting to back the idea of no blue flags. Make the best racers in the world make their way around the slower traffic. If its timed wrong and you get screwed in a section, so be it. Its racing. Some days you benefit, other days you dont.

Been a fan since 1981. Used to watch FP 1-3, pre race, race and post race, with Buxton's F1 Paddock Pass YouTube channel. This year, its tuning in at 5 after the hour for the lights to go out and off after the checkered flag. Due to the reasons most of us are turning off sports, but along with the fact that the extra stuff doesn't matter. You have three guys that can win, there will be about 5 total laps of excitement for 90% of the races.....

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

That was 100% a competition yellow.

7. DrA5

Two stop races tend to be a bit more interesting and more tactical. May mix up the field a bit. Why not have a rule that they have to use all three compounds during the race to ensure a two-stopper? I mean, the tires are there and ready to go. Be a shame not to use them.......:D

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

Looks like Magnussen and Grosjean are both out from Haas.
    Word is that they're looking for younger and most of all cheaper drivers, even though I can't imagine any of them really making bank

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

This is great news, but least one contract extension too late.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. Pittenger5

Mazepin or whatever is rumored to be pulling a daddy stroll and buying the team for a ride for his kid.

11. DrA5

The fact that Haas is not looking at Perez and Hulkenberg means they are not serious about being a top team and are just content with making up numbers.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. Pittenger5

Official, kmag and grosjean are out

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Hope Magnussen finds a ride. He is a maniac and always fun to watch.

Razr and motion like this.
  14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Doubt he will, in f1 anyway. He'll probably end up in Indy car.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah I'm bummed to see him go too. Dude is crazy.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was expecting them to drop Grosjean and keeping Magnussen and getting Schumacher but cleaning house makes sense. Still surprised though.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That would be great, probably fit right in.

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Collision in FP2. Stroll and Verstappen. No injuries, just drama. :beer:

19. DrA5

I hope this track makes the permanent calendar moving forward.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out