1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. rwdfun

rwdfun

I think I recall them talking about tire temps. The Ferrari has either been more sensitive to temps or has a hard time staying in the optimal temp range.

If that is true my guess is that in qauli, they can space themselves and hit the line at the ideal temps which yields a good time. When they have to perform a formation lap, then sit at the line waiting for the grid to form up, then are in traffic they seem to struggle. And then there are their strategy mistakes but if your car isn't faster it's harder to design a winning strategy too

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Tire management, engine-life management and, interestingly enough, fuel management. At least, that last one was the case when the first introduced the turbocharged hybrids. I don't know if they have since gotten to the point where they can use maximum fuel flow throughout the entire race but I would be surprised.

3. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Some teams don't even fill up to the max allotment of 105 Kgs, because they have discovered that the weight they carry for the whole race makes them slower overall, than say filling to 100 Kgs, and then backing off at the end. I think this only works for the leading teams that are out front, and can drive defensively at the end.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did it start out at 105 kg? I seem to remember 100 kg.

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

This is some backwards logic. Is this because there is also an instantaneous max fuel flow limit too? I guess if you use the vast majority of your fuel under WOT conditions and that is limited, you might use less overall fuel than you are allow during a race. Just wondering if you couldn't then use some off WOT fuel flow to charge batteries and use more electric motor power during WOT. Maybe that's what the faster teams are doing that the slower teams haven't utilized well. Overall though, more fuel equals more energy

6. A. Barrister

Ok, I was sort of wrong. I think at the start of the hybrid era, it was 100 Kg. Then, in 2017, they bumped it to 105 Kgs. I just discovered that for this year (2019), it went to 110 Kgs.

HPPT likes this.
  7. A. Barrister

I'm not an expert on any of this, but I think there are multiple factors involved with not carrying the maximum fuel allowed. And maximum instantaneous fuel flow is one of them. Also, there is a max rpm limit (15k?) that at the instantaneous fuel rate really didn't apply, because you'd starve the engine of fuel at the 15k rpm limit. I think the max usable rpm's are around 11k for these engines. These engines were optimized for 100 Kgs of fuel back at the start of the hybrid era, and I think the reason for the increase in total fuel is due to the increased drag of the new car/fat tire rules.

Yes, more fuel = more energy, but then you need more energy to carry the mass of the extra fuel. The race becomes an economy run. The trick is to optimize that for the distance you need to go, and still be faster than everyone else. But you don't qualify with your race fuel on board, so this is where your instantaneous fuel flow has more effect. It would be interesting if you had to qualify with your declared race fuel mass on board.

I've heard the latest deal with Ferrari having more power, has to do with some EMI affecting the fuel sensors, letting them use more instant fuel without the sensor saying so. Engineers are very creative when it comes to getting more power without breaking the "rules".

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

scottn likes this.
  9. rwdfun

rwdfun

So I understand the cheating is they are altering the sensor signal to show lower fuel flow, thus allowing them higher max flow at times and Ferrari doesn't think that's cheating?

How tall are these guys? Binotto looks like a giant compared to Horner.

In any case, Horner should've put a well placed punch to his throat and after he crumpled to the ground said "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck" and just walk away. Hey Binotto when the Ferrari was slow it was because it sucked. Not because others were cheating.
    [​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing, but Binotto is standing on a platform. TBH he also looks like Egon from Ghostbusters.

[​IMG]

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying! They should follow Mongo’s rule book and then there’d be no grey areas to exploit :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Everyone in f1 is cheating, some just cheat a lot better than others...:crackup:
    The redbull front wing from the webber and vettle days was one of my favorites. and the mclaren rear break from a long time ago. the fia never caught that one either, a photographer took a picture and spoiled it.

13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

To be fair....flow rate is measured over a period of time, and as long as it averages out in that length of time, then it's legal, right? :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's the same Ferrari engineer that said it was the car and not LeClerc was the reason Ferrari was on the podium earlier on. Guess he knew he was cheating, so it must have been the car

Sent from my smatrfone

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I dont believe so, I think its maximum instantaneous fuel flow, 100kg/hr.

Yeah

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/f1-technical-regulations-for-2019-performance

16. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

that front wing was awesome. The flex was so perfect.

noles19 likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Albon confirmed at Red Bull for 2020. Well deserved! :clap:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Yzasserina and motion like this.
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed!

19. rwdfun

rwdfun

I thought Ferrari had the original wing flex. I recall a while ago the on board front camera was aimed at a support arm that connected to the center section. You could see the arm slide out from the center indicating the wing was flexing toward the ground. Not sure how that was resolved but next race Ferrari had put a collar covering the connection so you couldn't see the relative motion but it was still happening. Ferrari being Ferrari

The individual elements flexing back at high speeds was awesome to watch. Newey's doing?

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think a shakeup is on it's way in the Haas camp.