1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best GoPro mount ever!

Discussion in 'General' started by Peanut37, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

I have no emotional ties to this thing I just thought it was a good idea and since I'm pretty new here and haven't raced with WERA yet I didn't know about the one already in existence. I think I'll buy one of Shannon's mounts if they are still in production.

Nuke it!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Friday night sissy fight!!!!

3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Seems more like a "hump-day hand-holding" if you ask me. :Poke:

4. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

the design wasn't stolen, the wera classisfieds one uses a ball mount and clamp tension to mount, the one on the kickstarter project does not use that, really the only similarities are the mirror mount point( bike universal) and the gorpro bayonet mounting(mandatory if you want to mount a gopro)

I know the guy personally whose project this is and he DID NOT copy someone elses stuff

5. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

Ok, I just bought one of Shannon's mounts. I also explained what I did and invited him to join in on the flaming and shit talking. So keep it going. Flame on!

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Here are three that can be argued as being close enough to count. Seriously, they are all pretty simple base designs. That said; If I needed to buy a mount and not use anything that came with the camera as OEM, I would gladly support a fellow racer. :D

Attached Files:

7. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

I did, but I would still like to see the "rip-off" one made. I like to have options.

8. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

I bought one of MxGixxer's units a couple years ago and it works great.

However, if he was really worried about rip-offs why didn't he patent the design?

9. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

There's always the chance that the patent office realized that the market was flooded with similar mounts and didn't grant a patent based on the similarities of other items out there.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Even a poor mans patent at that.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

All this over a crappy GoPro when Contour had a better product and better mounting options.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because a patent can be little more than a blueprint on how to rip off your product.

When you apply for a patent you have to submit proprietary and sensitive information that is included with your design. Your competition can a request a copy of the patent and *BOOM* knock off you product. Yeah, you can hire a bunch of lawyers to fight it but that costs big bucks and if your product is being knocked off in china, you'll probably lose.

You could register the design or apply for a patent (but not complete the application) and hold off the knock off artist for a bit but unless you've invented the wheel, you're gonna be f@cked.

13. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya.....:Poke:

14. Peanut37

Peanut37 Peanut

WERA watch-dogs are just as good as a patent for this. It already got Shannon at least one more sale for the original.

15. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

And we have a winner!
    It doesn't sound like Shannon was/is too worried about it or he would be here defending it like a madman himself. Instead, someone else is.
    A ripoff? I think you're getting a little excited with this.
    I made a handful of the same thing in 2008 for mine & my buddies GSXR. I didn't dream of marketing them because without a patent, i was sure that the market would be flooded by imitations in no time. There are only so many variations on the theme.
    You want us to get pissed at this "imitation" design & buy ONLY the "original".
    Based on what? Why? The guy did the R&D & is marketing the things.
    Why are you getting so pissed off because someone else made a device that does the same thing, in a different manner?

I taped an old school 8mm tape recorder to my tank in 1996 & went racing.
    I didn't get pissed the next time i saw a dude using duct tape to do the same.
    Pointless...
    Patent or nothing. Period.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I did say 'had'. I know they closed down.

17. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

If the market was already flooded with similar mounts than how is one ripping off the other but the "original racer guy" didn't rip someone else off?

It's a damn go pro mount. I typed in "GoPro motorcycle mount" in Google's shop for section and came up with 1600 hits. :confused:

18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

That was kinda my point. Only I never said anyone was ripping anyone off.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

im buying one... :D
    Forget all the IPO silliness.
    I want me sheet today! :FL:

20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I didn't intend to imply that you were saying people are getting ripped off. Just other people on the board are saying that.

Sorry for the confusion. :beer: