1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ben. Again.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jun 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I like that idea. We'll see what happens next year.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't think anyone said that the factories left. They said that 2 teams left.

Where 4 teams once stood (well 5 if you throw RRF into the mix), there are now only 2. Less teams inevitably means there are going to be less seats for riders, at least for the dwindling SBK class.

Yosh had 2 seats, Hammer had 1, M.E. Yamaha had 2 and Attack had 1. So 6 SBK rides now dwindles down to 4.

It does have me wondering who will pick up Gagne's vacated seat on the Scheibe BMW, assuming they are still in it for 2020. Maybe hopes for Herrin?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

He is stupid

DucatiBomber and Wheeliest like this.
  4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

MotoAmerica`s IG account just posted a picture of this bike asking who`d be riding it. I believe we`re all jumping the gun on this.

Also, the GRAVES Kawasaki truck was spotted at Buttonwillow(from what I hear) testing a new ZX10. Wonder if Andrew Lee is making the jump?

Senna likes this.
  5. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

It's not just SBK that's been affected. Rick left leaving Gillim and McFadden looking for rides.

What's Celtic/HSBK doing next year as PJ has been quiet lately and I saw Paasch riding that R6 at HSBK's track.

Is Andrew Lee also getting forced to go SBK with two straight Stock 1000 championships? (I forget MA's rules on the progression)

Out of all the classes, I feel these guys should all have the shot at SBK seats:

Herrin
    Eslick
    PJ
    Gillim
    Lee

There aren't 5 bikes out there currently that would give these guys shots at wins/podiums.

G 97 likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think that's necessary here, no matter how wrong he is. :D I think he's just choosing to believe the interpretation of that statement that allows him to justify being mad.

G2G, Wheeliest and DucatiBomber like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, he was right. Unless Suzuki is cutting checks for JU's riders they have effectively pulled out as a factory team and are now supporting Team Hammer more. There is a difference. Same for Yamaha.

While he may think the series has a short longevity it is still a basic opinion, I think it'll be fine if they keep things going the way they are. You can't kick factories out like DMG did but you can do pro racing without factory owned teams and just have their support for other teams. Long term it might even be better. But MA does have to get more money coming in to their pockets to justify it all.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What happened is simple, bike sales are not good.

Senna and ducnut like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He was talking about the factory teams. He wasn't talking about support or contingency or event sponsorship or the like.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally different levels of support and control.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno if they're spending the same, I actually think it's probably a bunch less, however I think it is doing better spread out for them and the paddock. Hopefully it all works out for everyone and leads to more support in the future if their ad budgets ever go back up.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

No idea how they are doing it or what the cost structure is or how sponsors get involved etc. but it appears as if they’re doing something right. It also appears as if Honda is providing support. No idea on the other manufactures. Might make for a good case study for MA.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honda has no factory teams outside of GP racing if it matters any.

BSB has some great ideas but yet again you cannot compare them and here. The UK would fit easily in Texas including parts of it with no tracks close to them. The mindset of people in the UK is damn near 180 degrees from the US with regard to all road racing. It cannot ever be the same.

Hoffman900, DucatiBomber and G 97 like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Endurance?

15. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

As Mongo said, BSB's circus doesnt have much travel other than a couple off shoot races in the Netherlands and Scotland.

From my understanding, its private teams with some of them having some sort of limited factory support similar to what I believe KWR has here with Ducati.

G 97 likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, it’s kind of the same old same old isn’t with motorcycles in America and not being a staple in the majority of Americans lives etc. it’s also easy to forget, as you pointed out, just how big and spread out America is. With the economy being as strong as it’s been you would think more outside sponsorships would be knocking on the door but I just think motorcycles are seemingly a non entity with them. Although I think nascar has seen a contraction as well so maybe it’s just a racing thing in general. With this all being said, MOTO-GP seems to be as solid and in a very good position as they have ever been. Crazy.

tl1098 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good question, not sure on that. HRC prolly does the 8 hour but that's it's own gig. Last I talked to anyone there it was about Superbike series around the world, didn't touch on WEC.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The outside stuff may happen if MA keeps doing what they're doing. Good shows in person, good TV and net coverage all matter a bunch. Keep putting butts in seats and people will pay to advertise with them.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  19. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Didn't they have some limited Ford support at certain races this year? Pulling outside money into the series seems to be the way forward.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could be, I didn't get to any in 2019 sadly.