1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techonology (Microsoft Windows 8) Quesiton for the WERA peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by Renaissance man, Sep 16, 2013.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

*scratch head*

Perhaps it's because I'm even younger than he is but I don't see any part of this particular situation being discussed that's not better today than it was 20 years ago.

Intellectual property is more secure while the user experience (as it is currently designed to be used, not as it was designed to be used 20 years ago) is faster, easier and more reliable.

What's not to like about this?

Complaining that you can't migrate your applications from one computer to a brand new one, without the original installation media and registration key, is like complaining that you can't register your car in a new state without its title. Complaining that LapLink, a product designed on 25-year-old operating systems, doesn't work on a modern OS because it was never updated to, is like complaining that you can't use your expensive mercury vacuum gauge to sync your fuel injectors.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Or you called and ordered a new set for your legally owned program.

I had a set of 19 3.5" 1.44mb floppies that was my backup of a game I played "Prophey of the Shadows". I made sure to never loose them...all the way to the point where I can't find a drive to read them. :cool:

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Just how long do you think I have been into computers? "Smug superiority" :crackup:

Dude I've been dealing with PC's since DOS 1.0. I have seen punch cards been used for real. reel to reel tapes being used for real. My Father was a programmer starting in 1973. So I've been around this for a very long time.

Just because I'm telling you that time marches on doesn't make me "smug". It tells you I don't rest on yesterday's accomplishments nor do I lust for yesterday's simplicity...as it wasn't simple...it was freaking complex. Just look at your smartphone and how easy it is to use (I don't care if its windows mobile, droid, iOS, etc)

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Hmm. My first email was on a PDP-11, using xedit, circa 1979.

Methinks you just lost. *My* dad used a slide rule. To him, computers were tools you used for firing solutions, and software was kind of a shameful job that he didn't really want me to follow - he wanted me to do something pure, like optics (camera lenses, the kind that orbit the Earth; or maybe Kelly Johnson-like aeronautical engineering).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Funny...my Dad did too.

But that wasn't the point. It wasn't a "how old is my Dad" game. It was a note that I've been exposed to this industry for a very long time.

6. caferace

caferace No.

NOBODY said they wanted to use ancient laplink or lapsync to migrate programs. Read back.

What they (we) did say was that we appreciated it when the OS allowed that flexibility. Right now, all of my software is buried in boxes somewhere in a large storage facility after several moves.

Modern Windows OS'es do not allow that sort of simple migration.

-jim

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What's migration?

I want an operating system that is simple, works, doesn't assume that I'm some kind of code monkey, doesn't spy on me and collects every piece of info I type in (like 8) and doesn't shit the bed at least once a day.

I like 7 professional and I'm not going to buy anything that runs 8. Wait, I did, it sucked and I returned it.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Bullshit...they sure as shit allow that simple migration. It all comes down to the application allowing it.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I think the word is migraine...not migration....like what this thread is giving me. :crackup:

Windows8 has a personal information privacy policy. If you want to know what is collected and kept around go read it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-8-privacy-statement?woldogcb=0#T1=highlights

From your understanding, what pieces of info does it collect that you type in?

Did you have instability problems with Windows 8? If so I'd be interested in learning what those were.

10. caferace

caferace No.

Are there any (major) Microsoft applications that allow it?

Didn't think so.

-jim

p.s.. I know there are some of the older tiny dev/test tools that live in their own directories. Those don't count.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It just didn't do what I wanted. I'm sure it would eventually but I don't want to have to waste time relearning. Work you stupid O.S. and do it now! :D

I'm also sure if I was using one of those touch screen laptop hybrid things it'd be the shit. I'm not and to me, it's just shit.

I like 7 professional.

I'm over this, I know there's a trailer for machete 2 on yougores and I want to go watch it. :D

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

It isn't up to the application to allow it or not. You can always copy the bits and reg entries and then slam it into a new system. If you know what needs to be done it will work.

But why would you do it? Just re-install it because that is what you are doing anyway. And then some of the new apps store your settings in the cloud so they will return to the settings you like.

And I want to say one more thing....don't change the subject. You are trying to say just because a MS app doesn't specifically have a migrate option it means the OS doesn't allow migrations. They are tangential to each other. I asserted the OS does not prevent you from migrating applications. Not that MS's applications allow migration.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What did it not do? I find Windows 8 does everything the same except for some things are done in a slightly different way.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

When I started using PC's I could migrate an application by putting the floppy disc in the other PC and starting the program from the Command Line.

Before Win95, you could migrate an application by moving it's directory and .INI files. DLL's were most often in the application folder and not in the System, or now the System32 folder (or what is it now, the wow64 folder?), and the concept of registered DLLs wasn't really used much by applications in Win 3.1

With the advent of Win95/98 and later OS's the bloatware bus left the terminal.

Not everything new is better in the micro sense, even if things are better in the macro sense.

15. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Oh yeah, simple migration.

Only if you have somehow extracted a list of the registered DLL's for the application, know which ones are shared and which aren't, know what other framework(s) and runtime(s) are necessary to run the program, know how to use regsvr from the command line, and know how to remove crap from the (hidden) prefetch.

Oh yeah, really simple. :Puke:

16. caferace

caferace No.

You are sick. :crackup:

-jim

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

this whole thread can really be summed up in two sentences

"get off my lawn"

and

"get bent old man"

:D

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yes taken out of context I can see how you get that.

But try not to take what I said out of context and you'll see that it makes perfect sense.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That isn't application migration. You didn't migrate that shit anywhere.

Bloatware? What the fuck? What makes you think it is bloatware?

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Prefetch is an OS concept that doesn't care what application it is. So there is nothing from prefetch that needs to be removed as it'll go away on its own.

Again...what is migration compared to an install? You guys don't have the technical chomps to detail that out. I do. So until you answer this question I continue to pose to you stop making yourself look dumb.