1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techonology (Microsoft Windows 8) Quesiton for the WERA peeps

Discussion in 'General' started by Renaissance man, Sep 16, 2013.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thank you. I'm sure I could figure 8 out (and maybe even like it) if I spent enough time with it but my wife - not so much.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

There isn't anything different with Win8 than Win7 except your start menu is full screen. Otherwise...that's it unless you want to really start to use Win8 then you can dive deeper.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

If nothing else when sunshine digs his heels in he will stick to his argument no matter what.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah I don't think I've ever claimed at being that bright. ;)

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

So this is your argument to an anti-trust case?

6. caferace

caferace No.

It would be weak, but if the OS made it more difficult for non-MS apps to migrate from machine to machine it would be a 2x4 in a larger building. ;)

-jim

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm not following on the migration of apps from machine to machine. When has apps ever migrated from one machine to another?

8. caferace

caferace No.

You're too young to remember Lapsync? You could move everything. Of course, that was over a serial cable and dinosaurs roamed the Earth as servants to carry our 20 pound laptops. :D

-jim

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I don't know that program but I do remember my Father bringing home a portable Compaq machine...it was like 50 pounds, the end came off which was the keyboard and it had like a 7 or 9" amber screen with a 5.25" disk drive.

In any case you don't migrate applications from one system to another. You re-install the application and then migrate the apps settings. Its a subtle but important differentiation.

10. caferace

caferace No.

You could then. :p

-jim

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Another useful feature we lost with the advent of Windows 95 and the introduction of the Registry. :Poke:

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You were right.

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

LOL what? You think its the registry that did this? :crackup:

Since you are so smart....what is the difference between installing an application and migrating an application (to a machine that has never had it)?

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep, could and did. Several times.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

All I know is I used laplink and a few other programs to 'move' installed programs that I obtained legally from one computer to the next until the registry showed up and those programs that I OWNED a user;s license for would not run because they were not in the registry.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If you owned it legally...why would you need to "move" the application using some 3rd party program? You should have been able to install the application on the new system.

As to the registry getting in the way....it sounds to me like Laplink didn't keep up with the times and failed to provide the needed functionality to make it work. The registry isn't some mysterious thing. It is a database of values kept in a hierarchical representation. If Laplink wanted to move your app they could have moved the apps registry settings too.

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Oh, well, of course. If only I had had your number 20-odd years ago when I moved our corporation from DOS with the menu routines I wrote to 3.1 and beyond, you could have walked me through all this...

:rolleyes:

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You have my crying over here...I mean...time moves on...if you want your old DOS screens...go for it...I just love watching the people at the airport having to tab tab tab their merry way through some bullshit console app that is 40 years old because their company won't make investments in their infrastructure.

19. caferace

caferace No.

Back in the day Sonny, programs would come on like 30+ floppies.

Sometimes, one of those would go astray. So, you migrated everything. :crackup:

-jim

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And the smug superiority of your youth, Sunny, makes me weep for the future.