1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tankless Water Heater

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jul 13, 2019.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Gas doesn't need the electricity.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It does if the unit is high-efficiency, for the exhaust blower.

K51000 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  3. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

If you don't have good water pressure, then I would stay with a standard water heater. They are less sensitive to low pressures.

Also, if you are in a City Jurisdiction or within a few miles of a new development where they pressure test the water often, then the instant hot water heaters will leak or worse burst! I always suggest a pressure regulator for clients who insist on them.

We had all the units in a brand new retirement home without a pressure regulator on them and they all burst one day from the City Water Dept. testing the water lines in the area.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’m so glad I came here inquiring before building a new house, not.

Went with what’s in vogue plus what wife wanted and ended up with a tankless useless water heater. But I do own a Honda EU2000 with extension cord which will run that pos in an outage. :D

969 likes this.
  5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

A traditional gas tank style heater, no. Gas tankless will not function without electricity. An electric tank style heater will keep the water hot enough to get you through a short duration power outage.

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Building a new home and using a tankless unit for basement and garage radiant in floor heat. For the rest a tried and true gas tank unit. They are cheap, readily available and do the job. Unless your tight on space for some reason I would stick with a tank.

7. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

spend the money for a commercial grade water heater. I would only recommend a AO smith brand. for a house that big 50gal at min. and if you have a gas line get a gas water heater. I have an AO smith proline XE 50 gal. I paid $900 for it. but it has a lot of features not on a consumer grade heater.

https://www.hotwater.com/water-heaters/residential/gas/proline/

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. blue03R6

but that is just a 110v outlet. it doesn't need hardwired. if there is a plug nearby that's all it needs.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Re-read his post.

10. blue03R6

im not following you. I see he is speaking about having power outages but I'm not responding to that. I'm responding to the fact high efficient water heaters only need to be plugged into a wall outlet . they wont require him to get it hardwired by an electrician. it's a small electric motor that could be used with an extension cord.
    but even if he had the power go out and has a generator, he can have hot water.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No.

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Ha. Extension cords with racers/track day folks. :D

Is there a problem with a 100' 16ga extension cord running a 1000W set of tire warmers ( or two sets)?

Will the blower start/run on 80-90 volts?

13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I put in a 50 gal hybrid water heater several years ago and it seems to be doing fine. I only use the heat pump part of it and our family of 5 doesn't seem stress it at all.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Depends on how big a capacitor you stuck in it. :D

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

consider a nice mechanical timer for the electric water heater... will double or triple element life. Yes they can be by passed if you have demand. Timer pays for itself in a couple 6 months.

16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I have had a tankless gas Rheem for the past 10 with absolutely zero problems, besides an almost nonexistent gas bill and endless supply of hot water which is very important when you have teenage daughters....

K51000 likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a 2br rental with a single mom & her daughter. The building used to be a garage in the 1970s and was converted to a mother inlaw suite of sorts. Over the years Ive attempted to bring it up to code and I never really had enough vacancy time to do anything major. Seems to attract the creative types who dont mind flat roofs and aluminum framed winders. On the side of the building is a 200 gallon propane tank that was painted yellow. Tank is in good shape for its age... dreading the day it has to be removed. I put a fence around it so it doesnt catch anyones eye...lol It used to supply the 2 story house in front but the only appliance it powers now is a tankless w/h which runs the tank out at the most inconvenient time...lol. I had to start marking my calendar years in advance when it will need to be refilled, which is coming up in Sept. I think it was 2009 the last time I replaced heater...and it was a rheem model that was on the blow out table at a local plumbing supply because 99% of what they sell is electric.

dieterly likes this.
  18. blue03R6

why?
    it's plugged into a 110v outlet.
    [​IMG]

K51000 likes this.
  19. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because it’s an appliance. A permanently installed appliance. And by code, permanently installed appliances cannot be connected with an extension cord.

K51000 and TurboBlew like this.