1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk me out of buying this car

Discussion in 'General' started by R1Racer99, Jul 7, 2016.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I wasn't really looking to buy a car any time soon, but I stumbled across one the other day that I now really want for some reason. It's a 2001 Z06 Corvette with 44,000 miles for $20k. I never really liked the look of the C5 but the Z06 version still looks pretty mean to me and this one is immaculate. Other than another motorcycle, there is no vehicle I could purchase that would make less sense, but I've driven nothing but trucks for the last 15 years and the idea of a 12 second car for such a reasonable price is sounding pretty good to me right now. Also, I've always wanted to get on the track with a car and these things seem like a good choice for that.

So low price, low mileage, reliable, cheap to maintain, fast, etc. But also a little dated looking and I'm not sure if it will hold it's value. I have absolutely no use for this car, but I want it. Tell me it's stupid to have a car you can only drive for a few months out of the year, or that it's ugly, or that it's only for old dudes having a mid-life crisis. Something to make me come to my senses.

13169202283x650.jpg

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

It's stupid to have a car you can only drive a few months out of the year, it's ugly, and it's for old dudes having a mid-life crisis.

Gre8one7 and VFR#52 like this.
  3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Seriously though, if you can swing it then why not? Not something I would be interested in but who cares? It would be fun to do some track day runs with it.

4. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

God hates a coward.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

C5Z06 FRC is a screaming value right now

V5 Racer likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

At 20 grand losing value is a minor concern...drive it for 5 years and sell it for 20 grand...better check insurance rates though.

7. If you want it just for YOU and because you think it would be fun, then get it.

But other than that, it doesn't make any sense. It isn't old enough to be a collectors item. But it isn't new enough to be cool and give any kind of status or street cred at Starbucks because it is 15 years and several generations old. It is right in that "too old, but not old enough" stage. It isn't old enough for people to say "wow that is cool"...but it too old to make anyone say "look at that badass Corvette". It basically looks like someone is trying really hard to be cool, but they missed the mark.

But like I said, that is only if you give a shit about what anyone else thinks. If you just want it because you think it would be fun, then get it. You only live once.

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

For $20k I would rather get a Camry...it'll last forever and all the grandmas at the old age home will swoon when they see it..well if their cataracts allows it.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Jesus Nick, don't ask me what I brought home last night. ;)

Carpe diem, man. :D

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What. The. Funk? :rolleyes:

Says the owner of enough bottled water to supply many African nations for decades.

Broome, stay out of this thread. Go very, very far away from this thread or just lurk. Or, change your screen name and post anonymously to protect the "Broome Brand".

Okay, rant over :beer:

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hey man, wrong crowd. Check insurance rates and go buy the car. As a matter of fact, take the day off of work to get it all done.

XFBO likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've always been a Porsche guy (even though I've never owned one) and I'm always keeping my eye open for a 996 because they're in my price range (low 20's).
    This weekend I was at my brother in laws and he has a Z06. I got to take it for a drive and all I can say is, god damn that thing is fast! It was faster than my brain could process. I could see owning one and that price you found is stupid cheap...like what's wrong with it cheap:D

[​IMG]

13. speedluvn

C'mon Man! Just one day? It will take at least 3 to 4 days, preferably attached to the weekend to take in the "new to me, car smell".

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'd buy it but then again I like silly toys.

15. :crackup:

I was just trying to talk the OP out of buying the car, as he requested. :D

16. speedluvn

[Cue in Melk-Man to blame the engine builder]

Sorry guys, been having a depressing last few days. I needed this thread.

Focker likes this.
  17. speedluvn

Sorry but your input would be of much more use in so many other threads but just not than this one. As always, :beer:

18. Torn7th

Torn7th Well-Known Member

Just trying to help lol[​IMG]

19. Ok. Point taken. :D

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I friend of mine bought one about three years ago for the same price. His was a little rough, but he wanted a track car. If that's any indication, it shouldn't lose much value.

I'm not a car guy, but bang for your buck I think the ZO6 is tough to beat.