1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk me out of buying this car

Discussion in 'General' started by R1Racer99, Jul 7, 2016.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've always thought the C5 would age the best. It has classic curves.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's a 15 year old Chevy. And it's $20K. That should be enough to talk you out of it.

Wheel Bearing, JBall and Chris like this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I still see stingrays that make my mouth water. If the gods of finance, time and good luck shine on me I'll start doing some resto work to Sarah's Z28.

Of course, on the way to BIR a few weekends ago we pass an absolutely pristine TA in white she wanted to look at. When she saw the $30k price tag on it she moped.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

She bought a moped instead?

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

fuzzy dice? foot print gas pedal?

6. pickled egg

If she's looking to ride something, I've got a boot that's just her size. ;)

7. pickled egg

Z28, not a fucking microbus. :moon: :p

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, if you got $20K burning a hole in your pocket you should definitely buy it. :D

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Ah, so back window louvers...

BigBird likes this.
  10. pickled egg

Fuck yeah, and some flaky chrome Cragars! :D

11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Ok here is my experience with these car.
    I own a transmission shop and do a lot of these transmissions. You need to make sure the person who owned it is older, cause if its not I can guarantee that the rear end will be junk soon and the trans will be right after. younger kids buy these cars cause they are cheaper than the newer ones to do rolls Racing on freeway.
    So is it stock or modified in any way, Stock that's not a bad price. if any motor work, cams, tune etc id stay away.
    remember they ride like ass and headlights have issues and the electric seats stop working.
    best of luck.

Steven Isenhower #52

12. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

That is not a Z06, that is a ZR1, about a 125K MSRP Corvette. The view-through window on the hood was only on the ZR1. They would definitely haul ass.

The Great One likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You already know it isn't a logical purchase or you wouldn't ask. But....if you like the car have the funds and it makes you smile, who cares what the rest of these chowderheads think? Seriously, someone here once declared a Fiat to be badass and you would consider this a useful resource?

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My bad, you are correct sir. I don't know my Vettes very well. But I do know that my BIL told me he paid $70K for it and that he basically stole the car at that price.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

only the Abarth is bad ass. The other Fiat's are crap

16. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

Never really understood the "old man" corvette thing. Price for performance, they are awesome deals. Especially if you want to do a couple track days. I was looking to get a C6 Z06 for the same reason. Price, performance, good looks.
    I accidentally both something not as cheap, performance and great looks (to me).
    Buy the damn thing and enjoy it!!!

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

How about the new Fiat 124 Abarth Spider?

[​IMG]

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Lol. I wish my 15 year old Chevy was worth half that.

19. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I bought an immaculate standard C5 7 years ago for $20K with 50,000 miles on it. Great car, not nearly as fast as a Z06, but fun anyway. 110,000 miles on it now, major expense has been rear tires. A few relatively minor problems, no powertrain issues at all (manual trans). I drive it year -round, none of this wimpy "drive it for a few months of the year" crap. It stays parked on days there is serious snow or ice on the street, otherwise it's on the road. With winter tires, you could drive it in the snow. You can also put a trailer hitch on a C5. You get a lot of comments at Menards when you show up with a trailer behind it to pick up lumber. You can also pull an open or small enclosed bike trailer with it.

V5 Racer likes this.
  20. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Beac, got one for ya.