1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk about a dead beat

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Jan 12, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dammit. I saw the thread title and thought that it was a honeypot to move the Pensacola Wars over here.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Fuck him!

cav115 likes this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, the judge just cut off Bernie's legs. 1.6 T in student debt has been forgiven.

Big win for the university complex.

Big win for those who were once called "borrowers".

Bad news for anybody who is not involved in the scam.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

So what's the likely result if student loans are allowed to be wiped out? In the future the only way to get a loan will be to secure it through collateral. That will be a bad result for those with no house or fairly rich parents. Of course I'm ignoring Uncle Sam (that means you and me). Silly me for and my kids for paying for our educations.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

If student loans get more difficult to obtain, as they should, it will bring college tuition back down to more realistic levels. Maybe even eventually to where they should be. The free loans for everyone bullshit is what caused college tuition to explode.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That and public schools jamming it into kids brains that they all have to go to college

Montoya, j cal, Jon Wilkens and 9 others like this.
  9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

ALL loans should be dischargable. I am against bankruptcy and while it is not an unforgivable thing it certainly would effect whether I do business or hire you (waiting for Trump comments :crackup:). Debtor prisons were a problem as were company store nonsense that we need to protect against. Like other laws better ten go free than one be wrongly imprisoned. Also unlike IRS stuff this is not confiscated by law.

This is not about student loans IMO but debt law in general. :beer:

10. tony 340

No

Whoever loans the money needs to have something that can change possession back to the lender. Then bankruptcy is somewhat ok

If not .....everyone will file bankruptcy

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I've always liked this...

Banditracer, blkduc and jrsamples like this.
  12. sheepofblue

My had an auto parts store. Two garages declared bankruptcy and stiffed us (one in a VERY sleazy way). Do you think we got any money or parts back? Part of being a lender is assessing risk. Sometimes you are wrong. Why should the government be allowed to make crappy loans and then put people in lifetime debt with no recourse?

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

If bankruptcy protection is available to businesses then it should be available, and utilized just as readily, to individuals.

14. tony 340

Kids sign paperwork for these loans. They see the numbers.

Nobody holds a gun to their head.

The interest rates are good and so are the taxes in April

cav115 likes this.
  15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Because the borrower asked for it? Because the borrower thought it was a swell idea? Because the borrower promised to pay it back?

cav115 and tony 340 like this.
  16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Shouldn't be available to anyone. It is all a get out of obligation without cost scheme.

crashman likes this.
  17. sheepofblue

So no bankruptcy and if you cannot pay it back your creditor can go after you for a lifetime? Look into the history of WHY we have bankruptcy. Like most things it is not perfect but the alternative is worse.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bankruptcy is paid for by those that do pay off their obligations.

crashman, cav115, tony 340 and 2 others like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Alot of personal bankruptcy's are caused by crazy high medical bills.

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, you shouldve thought about the financial consequences before you decided to go out and get cancer.

ChemGuy and rice r0cket like this.