1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take offs

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Mar 18, 2019.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Figure out what the guy that won did. :beer:

badmoon692008 and TurboBlew like this.
  2. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I’m just showing off. Only crashed once last year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Haha. :beer:

4. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

That makes zero sense if your not worried about getting around the track the fastest your able to why even ride the track? I’m not even talking about being competitive or racing I’m talking in general btw. I never understood people’s logic with “tip toeing” around a race track wether it be with fried tires or even more popular the “cheap outs” with getting full rains.

SpeedyE and BigBird like this.
  5. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

So are some of you guys saying you literally run the tires until the cord shows?? Or is that an exaggeration? I usually replace my Ntech slicks when the dots are gone, but I would be more than willing to keep running them. Those things get expensive lol.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

More do than like to admit.

7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Hopefully I'm not misinterpreting your statement but............because many people, like myself, who aren't racing and simply use the track as a way to "scratch the itch" without endangering themselves (and others) on the street may not always be interested in going as fast as possible, all the time.

Sure, when I slap a brand new set of slicks on and am feeling froggy, I may go out and see if I can push for a handful of laps and see if it results in a new personal best, but because I'm still more interested in taking all my equipment (and bones) back home intact I'm still not going to be lying everything out on the table.

When, and if, I decide to ever grid up my view may change (though maybe not significantly), but for now I go out there to have fun.......and having a constant rotation of perfectly fresh rubber to push at 100% all the time does not have a significant marginal return. I have just as much fun circulating the track a few seconds slower and trying to remain smooth and consistent as I do putting together 6-8 laps at 99%. That has kept me upright and safe over the years, and has still yielded constant improvement.........i.e. what is now my 99% would have been my 105% (and a trip to the hospital) 5 years ago.

j cal and SpeedyE like this.
  8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between riding at a track day for fun, and going for a good lap time in a race situation.

It's easy to take a long, light braking entry, (gradual turn in) and eventually reach full lean angle. Conversely, when trying to make a lap time by turning it in aggressively while still on the brakes takes alot of confidence in the front tire. A new Dunlop front is $160. In a race or qualifying situation, that is the cheapest price per .1 second that you can find in racing!