1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailiban Snipped at 3079 yards

Discussion in 'General' started by Black89, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Not to mention massaged by the Unit Armorers. These guys don't just unbox it. They make their own loads too.

2. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I'm already assuming the best possible load, any sniper should roll their own or have a supply from a trusted source. I'm also going to assume a coated bullet, a perfectly cleaned weapon etc...

Just my opinion, you're not going to get real-world sub-MOA accuracy from a semi-automatic action. Also the "Expected Sub-MOA" from the Wiki references a rifle that can be chambered to .50 or the .416 round which was really designed for that. If it achieved sub-MOA accuracy, I would expect it with that round.

0.3 MOA is totally possible for a different rifle with a smaller caliber, like something in 338 Lapua or 300 Win Mag (my personal choice caliber). I don't think anyone has ever suggested accuracy like that from a rifle like that.

3. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Google: (13 inches divided by 0.3 arcminute) in meters

Answer is 3,783 meters. Seems reasonable. Maybe they have the 0.3 MOA 50-cal?

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

hell if I know. Just what I have read :D

4 of the 12 longest confirmed kills have been by the M82a1, they surely have figured out a way to be far more accurate than 2MOA just going by that.

5. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

I took a 1,000 yard class a while back where the lead instructor was an active duty army special forces sniper. Dude was a bad-ass, incredibly smart and very, very helpful. Anyway, all us gun nerds were really having fun asking him questions and we got him going about the famed .50 cal. He said the Barrett is pretty inaccurate and that they HATED it. On the other hand he said that McMillan's .50 is very, very accurate. With all that being said he said for the really long stuff the .338 still wins hands down.

Taking out an enemy combatant at 3,000+ yds with a Barrett .50 definitely required some luck, I absolutely agree.

6. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

IMO equal parts luck and skill involved with the shot. As in, a lot of both. I know somebody with, shall we say, real world experience shooting that platform and have asked for his comments. I'll report back. :cool:

7. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I'm just stoked I figured out how to use Google to calculate the math with arcminutes.

It's definitely all luck at that range and I wouldn't even bother to count it unless the sniper comes forward publicly and claims it and tells the story.

Still, pretty freaking cool

8. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

It's not all luck because reading the wind and putting the bullet in the same zip code at that range is a lot more than luck. I had the pleasure of watching some of the AMU folks shoot at Perry this past summer, where during one match we had a head on fishtail wind blowing things about a half value left and right. Seeing them keep all bullets in the 10 ring at 600 yards with an iron sighted M16A2 was quite a thing. It's more than math and luck.

9. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Between this thread and the 1911 one I am sure of one thing -

Steeltoe masturbated last night.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Did you miss the maxxis girl pictures? I'm pretty sure a bunch of BBS'ers did.

11. Putter

Maxxis chickies are hot and all, but I'm a Monster chick kinda guy.

[​IMG]

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Had a 64 impala like the girl on the left, nice body but the grill was pushed in.

13. Putter

I'd post more but I have the google image search open in another window and my other hand is kinda occupied.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

The math kind've sets an upper-bound on this one. It's like no matter how fast you are, you're not pushing your stock RC-51 down a highway at 250mph. There's a lot involved in going fast, but I can safely throw the B.S. flag on the stock 250mph RC-51.

When the accuracy of the rifle presents a circle 3 feet across, skill is what gets the bullet into the 3 foot circle, luck is what gets it in the bulls-eye on the first shot.

16. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

These four rhyme:
    Chipped
    Slipped
    Dipped
    Snipped

These two rhyme:
    Piped
    Sniped

The top four don't rhyme with the bottom two.

Shooting someone from 3079 yards: Amazing.
    Circumcising someone from 3079 yards: MORE amazing.

"poyfect"

17. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:crackup:
    I've been waiting for this since the thread was started.

18. sowega

sowega #710

Must've been one helluva pair of scissors

19. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I get what you're saying, don't 100% agree but I get it. Anyway, my expert has chimed in. He said that shot had a 2% success rate, the gun is 1.0-2.0MOA at that range, and the standard issue ammo is garbage, 5-10MOA at that range. He said there's better ammo that would be ~1.5MOA. He also said that this time of year, the winds would be horrible. So, it looks like a lot of luck involved based on what he said. Just somebody else's 2 cents, but I trust him since he's BTDT. ;)

20. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Thanks. I can't rid the mental image of Steeltoe with his dick stuck in the end of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with an liberally oiled 18" barrel and pistol grip.