1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tailiban Snipped at 3079 yards

Discussion in 'General' started by Black89, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

I used to shoot 500 & 1000yd when I was a kid. I got to be pretty good at 500yd, and 1000yd was hard, but fun. But 3x that? That's just an amazing shot. Incredibly impressive to say the least.

/salute

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Is that the one what has this thing which tells time?

3. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Trying to picture scoping that....

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Now that made me laugh!!! nice burn

5. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

That is just insane. There is just no reference point there to be sure of that head shot at that range.

And I bet that scoping is just taking spin drift and distance into account. Add in Coriolis, and wind and the dude could be Way off in the middle of nowhere scopeville to the right of where it is now :crackup:

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The mile shot is not luck. It's just math.

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

What I found amazing was not only the scope view, but that the guy who used the .338 made two shots on two separate targets at the same range and got both. They wrote that it took nine shots to get on target, but still... two consecutive, successful shots, at 2707 yards! :wow:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

Here's some good math, cold bore shot + 1/2 MOA (which is too low but let's be optimistic) = what size-shot group at 3000 yards?

Now an expert marksman, placing the dot on the middle of the chest dead-center and compensating for all variables perfectly, will hit the human chest how many times out of 10 shots?

My calculator says 19 inch group. Pick the middle part of your chest, use an 9 inch ruler (if so self-equipped) and figure out if any shot in that group is going to miss you. That's a human silhouette on a 3800 yard target.

Of course my math says... not 1/2 MOA on a cold-bore shot.

Like maybe 2 MOA from the real world side of things:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=321168

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The Magpul vid takes all the voodoo out of this stuff. It really is an eye opener. You can watch someone do the mile and see how it's done.

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I can tell you that a slight shift in wind one way or the other means a complete miss at a 1000, much less almost 4X that far. At the match a couple weeks ago our first course of fire had about a 5 MPH wind coming from the left, for the second course of fire the wind died just as everyone started shooting. These are timed courses of fire so you can't wait too long. Out of about 20 shooters almost everyone missed on all three shots as they were holding or dialing for the wind. The majority of shooters shoot this distance all the time and they don't miss a lot even at a 1000 yards. I saw three inch groups at a 1000 on the target I was scoring. This is prone off a bipod and rear bag.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yup and 5mph is nothing. The vid instructor takes them out in steady high winds with 20mph+ gusts.

13. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

What magpul video is that?

14. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

:stupid:

He's absolutely right. With the right equipment and homework it's really not that big a deal. Yes, I've done it.

Now, that being said... I hit the target over and over again at 1850 yards while relaxing with friends out in the middle of the desert. I set up the rifle and I loaded the ammo. Now, hitting the target at TWICE that range while in a war zone when your life depends on it is another story entirely. I have a lot of respect for those guys. I'm sure the training they go through is really tough and very interesting.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

That mile shot is a bit luck along with the math. It's awful damn hard to read all the wind between you and something a mile away. The wind could be blowing one way at your location the other way a mile away. The distance part isn't too bad, reading the wind is the real skill.

16. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

What size was that target again?

17. Quig

Quig Well-Known Member

We were shooting a 3'x3' steel plate.

And just in case you think I'm equating that to actually sniping someone, in a war zone, at over a mile, I'm definitely not. :up:

I was just surprised how 'relatively easy' it was to hit a target at that range given the proper data to input into a ballistics calculator. I'm not touting my skills one bit, hell as far as I'm concerned I'm a very average shot. I was just incredibly impressed with the ability and consistency of the equipment. That is all.:D

Oh, and it's a ton of fun too. :up:

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Art of the Precision Rifle. You're prolly familiar with Travis Haley as a combat sniper in Iraq. He is one of the students. I thought .308 was cool till they show what it can really do.

19. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

It's probably not as different as you'd think at that range, other than it's moving and at that range

In all seriousness, Google is amazing at this now, Google: (36 inches divided by 2 arcminute) in meters

A Barret 50 exhibiting 2 MOA accuracy could achieve every round in the steel with a perfect shot every time.

What everyone keeps leaving out is the accuracy of the rifle. If I were to cast the rifle and target in concrete, 100 yards away and basically put up a 10 foot wide target. Each shot would not land in the same hole. Even indoors with no wind. The shot-group width is measured in inches and that tells you the accuracy of the rifle. No one can hold the rifle more on target than a block of concrete.

Since it's an arc-minute, if it's off an inch at a 100 yards, it's off 10 at 1000 yards, roughly speaking.

Back to the original post, a sniper using a 2 MOA rifle took a one-shot cold-bore at 3800 meters. With the perfect shot and Jesus himself compensating and setting the scope, the accuracy of that rifle would have been 76 inches at 3800 meters. Period.

So, mathematically speaking, it's a lucky f'ing hit. If it was a sub-MOA rifle it'd be a lot more reasonable, it just isn't.

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

From what I recall reading with match grade ammo, and obviously the best barrel and all the expected accuracy of the barret IS Sub MOA. I recall it being something like .3 MOA actually

And a quick search here has the M82A1 at sub MOA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82